2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
let me think
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals...Im all yours....

Rusty just mentioned "NOT TO SKIMP ON A TRIPOD"
I purchased my second tripod(SUNPACK 6600 BEST BUY) for 60.00 about two or three months ago. The legs are broke and the screw to hold the camera is stripped out... I shoot hard and get in some nasty places sometimes...
Being that ive spent 120.00 already on junk thats broke I need a professional one. Im sure its been on here b4 so I apologize 4 bringn it up again.
I would like to keep the price under 200 if i can. I would like the ball head I believe.... (FROM WHAT IVE READ) I need it to be sturdy and not creep when im shooting horizontally, or ESPECIALLY vertically...! Levels and gadgets and all the other **** dont matter to me as i can level the frame fine through the view finder...
Im ugrading everything and need to start with this...... Thanks so much
If you can send links or pics of your own. That would be great...

·
5,853 Posts
Under 200 for legs and a decent head is going to be hard to find new. I suggest you keep a look out on POTN And Fred Miranda for a good used one
I know its out of your price range but, I have this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5XPROB_322K_055XPROB_3_Section_Tripod_w_.html and its been a good one, for my big lens I have a tiltall that I think could support a truck if need be.:rotfl: Its heavy but very, very stable.
Ill keep an eye out for a good used one and let ya know if I find one.

·
Charter Member
5,925 Posts
Well, I don't know about professional but I have been using a Slik 500DX for several years. I bought it and a second camera plate at Houston Camera Exchange for the exact same price as B&H had it advertised for.

It's not real light but I have toted it around BBSP several times with the long lens/camera combo. I wish it was a little lighter but so far it has been fairly stable.

Also, a good ball head would be a good investment.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Mike

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I have an old bogen that's been bullt proof so far but my real favorite is an old "Majestic" model I got used for $50. The Majestic with a geared head weighs about 20 lbs but it also extends to about 7ft. It's the only one I use for moon shots.. (-:}

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I found an old Bogen/ Manfrotto Model 3221 that holds a lot of weight for around a 100.00 at the Webster Camera Repair store right off of FM 528 and the Gulf Freeway. He has some ball heads up there too. Just ask for Woody. Tell him Sandy sent you.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
What have you got there Arlon .foam for dampening resonance vibration and counter balance in different locations to also keep resonance out of sync.

dick

·
let me think
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ARLON YOUR A NUT!!!!!..LOL A sheer photo wackjob...LOVE IT!!! So from what im hearing I do need a good body(LEGS) and a good Head... What is the difference between a gear head and a ball head... Mayb i need to go to a camera store, see which one would fit my needs best and head home and start bidding on one...?? Thanks for the help. I think this would pan out better HANDS ON... Im going to run up to a couple camera stores tomorrow while im in houston.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts