2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got a lead on a new or nearly new 90 hp.Ive been looking for a leftover 05 or 06 Yamaha or Johnyrude.I found a Johnson 90 06 bran new 2 cycle carbed installed for 6100.Includes control box,key switch,gauges and oil tank.I was interested in the Yamahe 90 because its a 3 cylinder and gets great mpg,just not sure if it will push my 17 Whaler or not.The whaler is an old 1975 17' CC called the bass boat edition,it has raised decks front and back and is a little heavier than a reguler Montauk.It currently has the original 85 hp Johnson Javelin on it and I figure after 32 years its about time to repower.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've owned 17' montauks and a 17' striper with the merc 3 cylinder 90 and johnson 90. Have also rigged and driven several with the yamaha 90. You won't be disappointed in the yamaha, its a good setup on that boat. I think the boat has a better hole shot and balances better when trimmed out due to its lighter weight.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
A 3Cyl 90 Yammie is about as good as you can get on a 17 foot whaler. It is light, and has enough power to do 39-42 mph depending on the prop. A couple of months back, Bernies in Victoria had one for 5900

Capt.Cook said:
Anybody got a lead on a new or nearly new 90 hp.Ive been looking for a leftover 05 or 06 Yamaha or Johnyrude.I found a Johnson 90 06 bran new 2 cycle carbed installed for 6100.Includes control box,key switch,gauges and oil tank.I was interested in the Yamahe 90 because its a 3 cylinder and gets great mpg,just not sure if it will push my 17 Whaler or not.The whaler is an old 1975 17' CC called the bass boat edition,it has raised decks front and back and is a little heavier than a reguler Montauk.It currently has the original 85 hp Johnson Javelin on it and I figure after 32 years its about time to repower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts