2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came from the FAQ on FEMA.GOV. I thought some of you might be able to use this info. Luckily mine was only$399.00

I was told that FEMA would reimburse me up to $800 for the purchase of generator, is that true?
FEMA reviews requests for reimbursement of the cost of a generator on a case-by-case basis. The maximum eligible reimbursable amount is based on a determination of the median cost of a generator sufficient to power an average-sized home. You will not be eligible for reimbursement if you purchased the generator after your power was restored.:fish:

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
What you don't see is that you have to have proof of a medical situation in your household requiring the purchase of a generator. I looked into this after Dolly hit SPI.

·
Registered
932 Posts
They told our friends that every circumstance would be reviewed on a stand alone basis.
Depending on situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same situation of just having bought a generator with still no power. It will be interesting to see what they do in my case. Neighbors in the apartment complex have gone to hotels and not had to pay a penny. Their apps were approved but I just filed mine. So my thoughts are would FEMA rather have me go stay in a hotel or pay for my generator?

Will be interesting dealing with this one.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
My case is still pending from last week.. Anyone beeb reimburst before ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are you serious???

I remember the Alvin flood of '79 as a kid and we stayed in a shelter, and relied on friends and neighbors. This is my fifth major storm and I have yet to need FEMA or any other gov't help. Unless you have a serious medical condition, why should the Gov't be expected to take care of you? Who do you think is REALLY paying for all these generators, hotels, etc, etc.? Same as the MANDATORY evacuation order which in this case said leave or face certain death. Yet there are those who did not leave and now we are expected to divert personel/services to take care of these people who had AMPLE warning and time to get out. All at taxpayer cost.
You and I choose to live on the coast and should there for be willing to accept the terms and concequences of our choice. IF you did not have a generator and adequate supplies to last you the three days you were advised of, then that is your bad. Not harping on anyone, but we still have FEMA supporting Katrina evacuees here in Houston years later. I say, do all you can to help yourself and your friends and neighbors, then if you REALLY need help the gov. I would venture to say there are not many destitue folks here on the board, so trying to get FEMA to pay for your generator to make you comfy is just poor taste and an abuse of a system designed to help those most in need.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hired Gun said:
Unless you have a serious medical condition, why should the Gov't be expected to take care of you? Who do you think is REALLY paying for all these generators, hotels, etc, etc.?
On the other hand, this is also a way for us to be reimbursed for the hospital bills we've paid for illegal aliens, welfare we've paid for those that have no intention of finding a job, and all the other cash that comes out of my paycheck to support those that refuse to support themselves. Who is going to pay for the reimbursement? I already did!

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
txpitdog said:
On the other hand, this is also a way for us to be reimbursed for the hospital bills we've paid for illegal aliens, welfare we've paid for those that have no intention of finding a job, and all the other cash that comes out of my paycheck to support those that refuse to support themselves. Who is going to pay for the reimbursement? I already did!
you can't be serious? who said you are even owed a reimbursement?

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
Vent

$ in $ out... If FEMA can help with a generator that we only need now, why not take advantage of our great goverment system with a enconomy thats booming.. yea right. I only got the refirb 500 dollar one instead of the 799.... .. It is not collecting welfare or food stamps.. It goes into much more than that.. Being out of work for a week not paid etc.. I dont have time to get into policies etc..

We pay taxes too so it is not just you buying me a generator or the other tens of thousands.. ... Back in the day Hired Guns dont pay taxes... ( LOL )

I am a bluewater guy, but have a brown water boat. Spent 1000's this past week and dont have extra $ to blow. Tapped out ... If I had the hundreds flowing I would not bother FEMA.

Give it a rest .... I am going back to clean up...

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is my second go-round!

I went through RITA in Jasper/Sam Rayburn, Texas; three going on, I guess, four years ago....they finally reimbursed me $420 for a $650 generator....I was just glad to receive anything.....it was about 2 months after I applied....nothing ever was said about any medical problem as mentioned on this site, just wanted my receipts....did not reimburse me for the gas used, but did pay for the 6 nights I stayed in a rental house when I wasn't at work(could stay there then during the week). Paid also for all of a new chain saw, and 1/2 of a roof on my house, and got a $2,000 check for general purposes of being out many things....had turned in almost $6,500 in costs I incrued, but not all of what I was out....lost over 60 trees and all fences were down on my properties....cost of cleaning up besides my own labor was $3,500 for trees that I could not remove, and needed a machine....another 2 months labor on my part repairing fences and pens for my animals. You need all the receipts you can remember to keep!! JT from Baytown still on Generator here!! We were out of electricity 18 wks in Sam Rayburn....have been out now 9 days now....But thinking of wade fishing soon!! All cleaned up....Good luck to all others....:cheers:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Captain Dave said:
$ in $ out... If FEMA can help with a generator that we only need now, why not take advantage of our great goverment system with a enconomy thats booming.. yea right. I only got the refirb 500 dollar one instead of the 799.... .. It is not collecting welfare or food stamps.. It goes into much more than that.. Being out of work for a week not paid etc.. I dont have time to get into policies etc..
Because your mama raised you to have better morals I would hope. And thanks for only getting the refirb model.
You guys ought to jump over to the Prasites thread. I think I'll go throw up and maybe get FEMA to pay for the Pinesol to kill the smell from you guys making me sick.
You own enough property to lose 60 trees, don't own a chainsaw, and need Gov't help?Maybe you should have bought insurance, but I guess that is what FEMA is for folks of your mind set.
Next thing you know you'll be paying for boat repairs and tackle with FEMA vouchers.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Captain Dave said:

We pay taxes too so it is not just you buying me a generator or the other tens of thousands.. ... Back in the day Hired Guns dont pay taxes... ( LOL )

I am a bluewater guy, but have a brown water boat. Spent 1000's this past week and dont have extra $ to blow. Tapped out ... If I had the hundreds flowing I would not bother FEMA.
i'll be blunt (as usual :) ): if you work and make a decent living, yet, you are going to ask the taxpayers to pay for your generator, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Next thing you know you'll be paying for boat repairs and tackle with FEMA vouchers.
This is a true story, I was asked this afternoon, standing at my dock, how to get FEMA help. That was after he told me he was "getting all the info for an insurance claim together". His story was, he bought the boat a week earlier. Hmmm. You have to wonder about some folks. It was still floating, just like mine, but closer to Clear Lake.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have spent over 1500 in fuel getting folks in and out to thier boats and bayfront houses. It's called doing your part when you can. Compassion for your fellow man. I won't stand in line for FEMA to pay that back, nor will I hit up thier insurance companies. Folks I've run to Galveston were never asked nor expected to pay a dime. When I asked I simply stated I would appreciate what they felt they could give to the gas fund to get others in and out. I'm sorry, I don't know you guys personally, but this kind of **** makes me physically sick.
Do we really need a bigger deficit? SOmeone said it a payback for the services we provide to illegals. That is funny, a real mental giant there. What you have done is ADD to the financial problem created by illegals. How would you feel if you saw illegals in the FEMA line? Are they not entitled to the same assistance as you?
Just because you survived a storm that does not mean you are entitled to a gov't hand out "just because". And to get on a forum and encourage others is beyond irresponsible. I hope I never meet any of you as you are not the kind of person I would ever consider as a friend. Get a back bone and man up. You have a boat,house, car, a computer with internet, a new generator and you are feeling hardship? You had the money in your pocket to buy the gen so again I don't think you qualify as destitute. Borrow money from your family and friends and sell your boat to pay it back. I gov't didn't ask you to aquire all the stuff you feel you lost, but you expect to be paid? Where are you from, and have you ever set foot in a church or had any moral fiber ingrained in you? Maybe you should do us all a favor and move inland. A really long way inland.................................yeah I'm ****** and have a right to say so. One of the last great things about this country.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.