2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but on ESPN2, they are having a shark slaying contest in Martha Vineyards. There is no tag and release, but just wanton slaying of these animals. They catch them and drag them into the weigh station. There are 150 boats out fishing for the sharks. As a fisherman, I am appalled. It saddens me to see this going on. Even if they catch one shark apiece each day, with the tournament being 2 days...that is 300 sharks taken out of mother natures balance of the environment. Its all for money and prizes. How sad....how very sad...VJER

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK...I may have been a bit premature...

After watching the tournament a bit longer, it seems they do tag and release the smaller sharks, but if they keep killing the larger ones, the ones that they would normally tag an release will be the next big ones, and they will subsequently get smaller. I have no problem with anyone shark fishing, but they don't need to kill them...VJER

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
I do not like kill tourments. But shark fishing is the last to catch up in sport fishing. In time with great web sites as this and others it will become a points sytem for tagged and released tournaments based on video. With a judge on each boat. Bill fishing tournaments are starting to go to this set up and shark tournaments will follow. Time and education will change the way people fish and think about sharks. Sharkathon is a good example. No longer do people have the need to fish for food. So killing great fish should not be an option.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
VJER,
Read up about the shark tournament a little more and it isn't as bad as you think. I don't like the fact that they kill a lot of big fish but there are biologists on hand through out the tournament and they use it as an opportunity to gain valuable information on the apex predators. I think only about 10% of the sharks caught are actually killed. The rest are tagged and released. Also, all the meat is donated to local food banks to feed the needy. Of course, the way the film is edited and shown on TV, it looks like wholesale slaughter but I don't think it is really like that. To stress again, I don't like the fact they are killing a lot of sharks but the biologists are making the best use of the opportunity and it is not a "waste" per se.

·
Registered
66 Posts
jolly roger

thanks for the sharkathon plug. We are attempting to do a good thing here. It seems as if there are a lot of people scared to get involved as they do not want to be a part of something that may fail. Sharkathon is only going to be as strong as its participants. We have a great core group of fishermen fishing the tournament so far and I know that this is going to be huge someday. Move over Surfcats-sharkathon 2004 is here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts