2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friday, June 18, Anthony Ribera and guest participated in taking advantage of a catch & release discount we offer. It was in agreement to meet at 5:00 AM and get an early start. We managed to C&R 5 trout over 20”. The action was non stop for the next 9 hours. After the day was over, it was estimated that the session produced over 100 fish. Even though the bay is fresh, sharks are still on the hunt. Here is a photo of a 18" trout that didn’t get released.

The rest of the photos are from trips over the past two days. Norton Mardi Gras continues to be a good choice. We are also catching fish on black magic, tequila gold, and jalepeno. Recent best catches have taken place in almost neck deep water. Since I'm only 5'7" tall this makes for some tip toe situations. The trout are over a mix of sand and light silt mud.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mardi Gras Lure Photo

After several emails per week of people wanting to know where to get Mardi Gras and what does it look like. Here is a photo of Mardi Gras. I normally pre rig the lures and have them ready to go. This way the lure gets on the jig heads correctly.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy Fathers Day

I want to wish my Dad a Happy Fathers Day. If it wasn't for the duck hunt he took me on when I was 12 and the every weekend fishing trip since I was 8, who knows what I would be doing today.

THANKS DAD FOR TAKING ME WITH YOU...LOVE CHRIS

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6-19-04

Mr. Pete Moreno group, holding a 6.7 pound trout and 2 nice reds, Guide TJ Christensen 6-19-04

Pete Moreno group, one angler not shown in photo, taking a shower, 4-man limits, Guide TJ Christensen 6-19-04

Mike Powell party, 2-man limits (one guest not shown in photo), Guide Jake Huddleston 6-19-04 norton bull minnows, 2 good size trout today a 24" & 25"

Jim,

Bring the hook out in the middle of the letter (M) for Minnow. It's important to have it square in the middle of the (M). This is on bull minnows. On sand eels I prefer to bring the hook out just before the first joint on the flat side of a sand eel jr. Hope this helps.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What We're Seeing Right Now

I want to spend this opportunity talking about fishing dirty water, sandy shorelines with grass beds, and strategies for fishing a spot completely before moving on. Dirty water is a great source of structure and is also a fantastic area for trout to ambush bait. When fishing dirty conditions, look for small streaks or patches or what I call “change water.” This could be where you have a distinct gut or water depth change next to shallower sandy flats or mud bottoms. Mullet and baitfish prefer to stay in cleaner water so they can see their prey coming. Haven’t you ever noticed that clean shallow shorelines always seem to hold the best bait? I prefer to cast on the dirtier side of the demarcation line, also known as the color change. Most of our egg carrying trout between 4 and 6 lbs are being caught over sandy grass shorelines. Wind permitting, we are also catching nice size trout over shell. Speaking of shell, if you can locate an area that has sand, grass, shell and mullet you have a great recipe for a successful trip. When wade fishing sandy shorelines with grass beds, start off shallow. Work the guts and grass beds where you see bait. I prefer to slow down my retrieve when fishing sand and grass. The bait will move out to chest deep water during late morning hours. What attracts me to one shoreline over another? This is a common question; let’s answer it. When scouting a shoreline, look for small round slicks, nervous bait (mullet), diving brown pelicans, color change, and the smell of trout. Sometimes I will locate a good trout bite with none of the above ingredients. The only things that changed before we caught the trout, was the water temperature. I normally do well wade fishing out deep when I feel cooler water. This cooler water could also be considered as structure. I hope I’ve got you thinking smarter about your next fishing trip. One thing for sure, if we’re catching good trout in one spot, we’re not leaving.

Matt Gelotti and family 3-man limits, Guide Scott Hadaway 6-20-04

Chuck King and son wade fishing with plum chartreuse norton bull minnows, 2-man limits, 1 -red, Guide TJ Christensen 6-20-04

Chris Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep the hype coming. These are reports in my opinion justfishing. If you dont want to read the reports and see the pictures then dont click the link. As for the same sidewalk, he is a guide, maybe this is where he docks the boat or brings the fish to clean. I see no problem with it. As for the dead fish pictures, I haven't ever eaten a live one. You have killed fish before too Im sure. Unless you are a freakin saint, you have no right to badmouth someone else for keeping fish. Keep them coming Chris, hes speaking for himself, not me for sure. Im getting about fed up with the little hypocrite treehuggers around.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fish Are Out Deep

Shorelines produced good trout wade fishing in chest to neck deep water today. The south shoreline of Espiritu Santo Bay continues to hold bait and fish despite fresh water conditions.

Ed Newlin of Pole Benders Camp (not in photo) wife and son are, these folks wade fished using Jalepeno bull minnows by norton, Guide Jake Huddleston
6-20-04

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Anytime I can get tips on locations. conditions, and baits from a pro guide, that is a good thing. As far as eating your catch goes I see nothing wrong with it as long as you abide by the law. If you don't eat the fish you catch you are probaly going to buy the fish somewhere, probaly fish caught by a commercial fisherman who has little respect for limits or the impact his trotlines or nets have on other species.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
justfishing2002,

Your messages have been deleted because they were extremely rude and add zero value. Don't agree? Take it up with Mont. Until then, any attacks on anyone will be deleted.

FC

·
Registered
175 Posts
I apologize for my ill manner too FishinChick. I just dont like to see people get malled for really no reason. I agree 100% with Fishomaniac. Im not in Capt. Chris Martin's area, but he does put in details and wherabouts that he was fishing, and what the fish were hitting. Sorry to get a little rude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts