2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate rotting bug infested wooden mulch so much I am looking at rubberific mulch, rwhcih is recycled dyed tire treads. I thought why not make my mulch beds semi -permanent and use these rubber bark chips instead. At 14.99 a bag it' not cheap. But over time I would recoup my investment and would not have to re-bed twice a year which I dread. I know there would be no nutrient breakdown, but I could always add some miracle grow. Anybody done this and are you satisfied?

·
www.bayoumetalcreations.c om
911 Posts
I have not personally used it but i have been told by some people that the color starts to fade over time. I was goin to use it in my lawn care business but if the color fades its not worth the extra money.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Be sure to lay down weed block first, otherwise your $15/bag mulch is just going to dissapear into the soil. Been there done that. Back to regular mulch.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My web research says no fade anywhere 5 years- to 15 years. I would expect some fade after 5 years, as I have safe floor rubber on my boat deck and after 5 years it will be tad lighter, so I buy a darker shade. Rubber chips is 5 times as heavy then wood, and nearly that in cost then wood but it should not float, so maybe I can save the cost of edger rock at the concrete walk interface around my pool deck. Endtuition- I will take your advice if I go that route because weed block is way cheaper then an extra inch of rubber chips, and an inch is not much cover for suppressing weeds in Texas.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have used cypress with a lot of success. It does not float bugs don't really like it and it breaks down slow. I did find though your beds look alot better if you remove all mulch every year or two. If you just keep adding more it can get nasty.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
weedblock is a fiber material that you roll out on the bare ground. usually comes in rolls. it will let water penetrate but will not let grass and weeds grow through it. Gooood stuff

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ckill said:
I have used cypress with a lot of success. It does not float bugs don't really like it and it breaks down slow. I did find though your beds look alot better if you remove all mulch every year or two. If you just keep adding more it can get nasty.
Have natural cypress right now, still hate it, though its better then nasty pine. More and more I am thinking Rubber.

·
donbmt
667 Posts
Ckill said:
I switched to cypress also, really like it.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Ceder

Ceder is great for ant control also.
Haven't had nearly the ant under my rocks since I switched about 8 years ago.

Never tried to float it. but bugs hate it for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts