2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dadblasted hurry-canes just messin up all the fishin. All the rain Ivan is dumpin on the Smokey's and the Va region just POURIN downriver. Every dam between here and yonder is pulling at LEAST 150,000 CFS. Every one of the release schedules say "Spilling until further notice". I talked to a guy yesterday that said he couldn't keep a three ounce weight on the bottom (upstream on the lake). And all this after I got a boat that I can use until I am ready to return it. I guess I will just have to keep putting up tree stands. :( I wanted to wet a hook, but all the best holes have too much water.

I reckon we can be glad we weren't on the coast. All those people need out prayers. So what is everybody else doing?

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's raining (no news there) here, still, and the river beside the house is flooded, again, but I did make strides toward getting the boat back on the water. I drove to Raliegh this morning to pick up a motor. Got another one of those black demons (1984 115 horsepower inline 6) from a guy that had a transom failure and didn't want to fix it... decided he'd sell the motor and trailer instead. If the condition of the trailer is any indication of how well he kept up the motor and the boat, then I got one heck of a deal. I didn't get to see the motor run, which doesn't really bother me since I got to see the last one run and it broke the crankshaft after 30 minutes of running it, but the guy has guaranteed it to be a good running outboard motor. I got all his receipts from work done on it and last October (last time he used the boat) the compressions were 130 across the board with one cylinder @ 125... so far so good... we loaded it into the station wagon and it's sitting out there right now pining to be installed on a Ranger Catboat.... All I need now is a little time (maybe this afternoon if it clears off any) and some luck (that my old controls will all work) and I should be ready to fire up the 115. That's all my boat is rated for anyway, so this may be a blessing in disguise...

The insurance company paid me for the total loss of my other car. They were more generous than I had expected. The "extra" money, over and above what I had to pay to get another car, is what I bought the motor with... so it was a good thing I nearly got killed in a car crash afterall....

That's about all that is going on up here. At work we are having an accreditation team visit us, so I'll be up to my armpits in alligators all next week. Everyone is scrambling to get ready, but I figure they'll just have to be happy with who I am, because I don't do a very good dog and pony show... I get audited, assessed, and observed more than any other department at our site. I'm so used to having someone poking their nose into my business that I get to feeling lonely if I don't have an oversight person asking me a bunch of questions... Here's hoping I'm back on the water in two weeks or so....

Prayers sent for those who suffered a loss of any kind during the storm.

TT<><

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got off the phone with my brother, who relayed a message from my aunt who finally got moved to Pensacola about a month ago. She rode the weather out on central MS with the rest of the family. When she got home, they had a complete loss. The roof collasped, bringing down two or three outside walls. Everything they left behind was ruined. Not only clothes and appliances, but A brand new Dell top of the line computer, new 56" tv, and home stereo system also. I think my crazy uncle is finally starting to think smart and talk about moving back to MS.

Checked the TVA website, and they are NOW pulling 178,000 cfs thru the dam at Pickwick. Might just go bream fishing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sheesh... talk about the absolute worst time in the world to move to Pensacola, Fl. I didn't remember that was where they were moving to, but now that you've said it, I do recall your Aunt with Krone's moving to Florida... I hope they were well insured.

The rivers here are all way up, way up... did I say WAY UP? and they're the same way in North Carolina. It looked like Gaston was higher than normal too, and the Army Corps of Engineers has to maintain that lake at a certain level above sea level by design... Kerr lake is allowed to fluctuate a lot in order to maintain Gaston at the "right" level... I'm sure they're flowing (is the correct term "spilling" ?) lots and lots of water right now too....

I was considering a canoe ride, but my sore back is keeping me from that and a lot of other things I'd rather be doing.... for the first time in my life, I have had to stop and get out of the car to walk around for five or ten minutes to get the pain out of my leg before I could continue driving.... I'm hoping the xrays show if there's something out of place so I can get my bone cracker to straighten me up again. Still waiting on permission to go to the chiropractor.... back pain sux

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I hate to hear that. Back pain is one of the worst things a human being can feel and still be mobile. I have had a coupla pulled muscles, and man that ain't no fun, nad I am sure is not as bad as what you are feeling.

Water is up everywhere, except the local ponds. They were already low, and we didn't have enough local rains to raise them too much. BUT, the rivers and lakes (which incedentally have the catchable fish populations) are too high and fast. Oh well guess I can count the days untill stick-n-strang time (12 days :) )

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Durn,MuddCatt...so sorry 'bout your people and their home,but,at least they played it smart and went inland..."stuff"can be replaced,loved ones can not.

Hawkeye...Glad you are starting to feel a little better.I hope the healing process continues,partner.Also,glad that you apparently found a good outboard from someone trustworthy...it'll all work out in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts