2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up fishing with 6 1/2' - 7' ugly stiks and ambassador 5000 reels catching tons of fish, cost under $100 for complete setup...

I grew up fishing with an old used boat bought for $5,000 that toted me around the bays for 12 years without a lick of problems other than a trailer axle...

I grew up fishing with strawberry white plastics, gold and silver spoons, and a couple of broken back top waters carried in a small tray, caught plenty of fish...

I grew up with a cast net and a bait bucket available when needed on the boat...

I grew up catching full limits and bringing home to mom for dinner for the family...

Now adays, my rod and reels have to cost $500 a setup, boats are no good under $30k, I need 2 100 slot tackle boxes to carry all the lures, using bait is potlicking, and I need to release big fish and not keep full limits....

My how times have changed :)

·
Certified Man Card Holder!
1,652 Posts
Ain't that the truth.

I fished with an Ugly Stick and spinning reel combo that would wear my arm out when fishing!

Greenie to you.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
I never grew up! jk. I don't have that many lures any more. I am going back to the days of old. I use a kayak instead of a 30K boat. I still catch a few fish from time to time. I still have a cast net and get bait for the kids. I don't buy live bait. I catch it. (for the kids I use plastic) I still go to the old Kelly wigglers as my favorite. Red with white tail. Potlickin is still the same. Never soaked a croaker, used to catch them as a kid. Good eats!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
John boat with a '68 johnson 9.5, dead shrimp, who knows what kind of rods and reels, cokes and fish would be in the same cooler. would stay out all day come back tired, hungry, and sunburned. Usually with an ice chest full of assorted fish. lots of croaker back then. pretty simple. I still appreciate simple. Been thinking about a yak.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I hear what you're saying. 14' B-craft / 25 HP Evinrude Tiller motor / 6 Miro-Lures / Green, White with Pink Tails, Root Beer - Sting Ray Grubs. / Gold and Silver Spoons. / 1 Rod and Reel .

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I aint really grown up either... and I can't imagine what Harbormaster went through.. LMAO :)

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
When I was growing up an Ambassadeur 5000 was still a Record 5000 and nobody had even heard of an ugly stik yet. Fiberglass was just going main stream, graphite was still 20 years in the future. .

Soft plastics hadn't been invented yet. A "hula popper" was all the rage until that little bait company in Miami came out with a "mirro lure".. A lot of lures where still wood.

A $5000 boat was a "gulfstreamer". That was probably more than the annual salary of the average worker. That much cash would have gotten you one heck of a nice boat.

I made my first boat..

I did learn to use a cast net at a fairly young age.

Limits? I don't recall any limits back then. Limit depended on how big our boat was.
Fish fries with the whole block invited wheren't too uncommon.

Thirty miles offshore in an 18 ft center console. One engine, no radio, gps or even loran. A compas was all we needed for some reason. I'm here now so we never got lost...

Those where simpler times for sure.

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,868 Posts
You're all pups! :)

After the Pfluger Phlashs came the Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reels...then the Ambassadeur 5000's! If somebody waded up with a 5000 he KNEW what he was doing cause anybody that would spend that kind of money on a reel HAD to know what he was doing! ;)

My biggest trout back then was a 6 pounder caught before daylight on a gold 1/2 oz. Johnson Sprite while wading out of the Quarantine Station (when there was still a quarantine station there) on Pelican Island behind my dad and Whitecap. I was casting at them and retrieving in their mud! :D

You couldn't run down a shoreline anywhere due to all the trotlines and Rudy Griggar was soaking live mullet where what is now Bahia Azul!

Sea Isle only had the main channel coming in to the marina and there were no bulkheads! I remember how dark it was at night and how bright the stars were! And I remember the night my grandfather gigged a 10 pound flounder on the bar just out of Sea Isle...next day we ate it!

Pups I tell ya...ya'll better be nice to the old man! :D

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Never fished out of a boat much until I was out of college. We fished the piers , rock groins and waded the surf. Owning a boat just has made it more expensive and complicated. Danged sure hasnt accounted for more overall fish.

·
Registered
617 Posts
ah ,the old garcia mitchells.made in france.my 14 yr old son uses my 300 that my dad gave me some 30 odd years ago.he asked why they don,t make em like that any more,

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
Zebco 33 and some dug worms in a "tin" can, maybe a cricket or grass hopper if we could find them. In JH/HS, river trotlines with minnows seined on the sandbar eddies.

Never filled the ice chest, but always caught fish.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts