2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dude at the range let me hold and shoot his 450-400. Unbelievable!! It was a side-by-side and built in late 1890's. I did not catch the make of the weapon.

Those rich folks took some nice toys on safari.

btw...he would not trade me for my $150 bolt 22.

b

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I think the 450/400 in either the 3" or 3-1/4" (Nitro loads) is just about the perfect double round for anything you might want to shoot from say Eland up to elephant, or even a big bear. A professional hunter or someone who plans on a lot of elephant hunting might want something larger as it does not have the stopping power of a .500 Nitro Express or the larger rounds, but as the rimmed equivalent of a .404 Jeffery it makes a great rifle that can be built lighter than the larger bores. In case you cannot tell, I lust after one of my own!:cry:

How was the recoil? Do you recall the name of the owner or if it was Nitro or black powder? I know a couple of people in the Houston area with A. Hollis .450/400 doubles.

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Article on double rifles in Sports Afield

By Craig Boddington, in the latest issue. So far that bug hasn't bitten me. Getting real close to my Mozambique buffalo hunt. I'm taking one rifle: Win M70 .416 Rem Mag with Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 x 4 scope. Remington Safari Grade (nickel cases) 400 gr Swift A-frame ammo for the first two with A-Square 400 gr monolithic solids for the third round in the magazine. Both around 2,400 fps mv. Hope the rifle arrives when I do. Hope it performs well. And I hope the trigger operator does his job too. I'll post up after.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
if I come up with 6 numbers at the appropriate time, I should like to take a Krieghoff double in.500/.416 and an extra set of 8x75rs barrels to Africa. the 20 ga.x76mm shotgun barrels would also be handy for guinea fowl and such. just fantasizing of course.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ 9.5 lbs, a long long barrel, low mv, and light (300gr) rounds, recoil was very tolerable. It did not have a snappy recoil like a light deer rifle or mag shotgun.

...even the recoil felt expensive!

b

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
just happened to look at the Kreighoff site and liked the inter-changable barrels. never fear Charles, I, as you would be doing some major research per a windfall. that said, I'm partial to the Teutonic doubles. all in fun for now. Kurt.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
kweber said:
just happened to look at the Kreighoff site and liked the inter-changable barrels. never fear Charles, I, as you would be doing some major research per a windfall. that said, I'm partial to the Teutonic doubles. all in fun for now. Kurt.
My understanding is that the biggest problem with multiple barrel sets is that ideally the action size and overall rifle balance and weight are proper for one range of round. If you put a smaller-bore barrel set on you end up with a heavier rifle than you need, and in many cases the cost is high enough that you can just get two rifles...which sounds pretty good.

Heym is trying to do a limited run of their PH model in 450/400, but I am sure you already know that.

I try to plan ahead so that when I win the big lotto I will already know where the money is going.:D

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
traisping around Bravaria and finding just the right gunmaker would be teidious, but a chore that must be endured for the perfect hunting rifle. after that optiks would call for a futher search. might even run into some kinfolks along the way. Kurt.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
kweber said:
traisping around Bravaria and finding just the right gunmaker would be teidious, but a chore that must be endured for the perfect hunting rifle. after that optiks would call for a futher search. might even run into some kinfolks along the way. Kurt.
Some very nice work comes out of the Austrian and German craftsmen -- no doubt about it.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts