2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For myself, of course. It is the coolest thing ever! If you like to read, you absolutely have to get one of these things!!!

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,527 Posts
I'd love to have one but I read alot. Think I'd go broke paying for books......The library is free!........

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
I'd love to have one but I read alot. Think I'd go broke paying for books......The library is free!........
That got me to thinking.:eek:hwell: How do you buy a book for one of those things? How does it compare cost wise to buying a paperback?

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,527 Posts
I read a little about them so I could be wrong but I saw where you could download books for $9.99.......I have wattpad on my IPhone and can download quite a few books for free, but nothing like Kindle offers.....

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Got the kids one of the new models for Christmas.. They are both BIG readers and are just nuts about it...The new one is a little bigger and also has the feature of a switch that can turn it into a 'reader' to read to you while you are driving, etc... Muy Cool...

Books costs vary...new best sellers are usually 9 bucks or so..older books a little less...and they have thousands of classics available for free..see link below....

Also can subscribe to Houston and Austin newspapers for reasonable amout if that's yore bag....

http://www.freekindlebooks.org/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Congratulations gigem87. I believe you will enjoy your gift to yourself.
My nephew is in the Navy. He is on the ground in Afganastan. He has one and carries it everywhere he goes.
I was going to purchase one for my wife for christmas but the kids said a new one is coming out and it will have color.
I borrowed one for a week and I'm impressed. It's not like looking at a computer screen all day. Its like looking at paper.
Google Amazon Kindle. It will give you the whole run down on that product.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,209 Posts
I got one for my mother for Christmas and she loves it already! I do not read books because I am more of an article/magazine reader so I have no need for one but I hear they are make great product.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
How big are they? This is the first I've heard of the kindle things... and I read a ton of books every year... LOL

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
He carries a WIFI enabled Kendall in the field? Hmmmmmmmmm

Congratulations gigem87. I believe you will enjoy your gift to yourself.
My nephew is in the Navy. He is on the ground in Afganastan. He has one and carries it everywhere he goes.
I was going to purchase one for my wife for christmas but the kids said a new one is coming out and it will have color.
I borrowed one for a week and I'm impressed. It's not like looking at a computer screen all day. Its like looking at paper.
Google Amazon Kindle. It will give you the whole run down on that product.

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a Kindle 2, which uses the AT&T wireless network to contact the mothership Amazon. Anywhere in the world. No charge for the wireless part.

My first books to buy have been the Stephen King Dark Tower books. On the 3rd one now. Cost has been under $7 each. They download in less than a minute each...

Really wish I had this in India last month, when I ran out of reading material!!!

I think that color Kindle's are a long way off. I don't see a huge need for me anyway, since I want to read books. It's the words that matter to me, not pictures. The Kindle 2 e-ink screen is VERY easy on the eyes. Much easier to hold and read than a regular book, in my opinion. Lighter, and can use one hand. Or lay it down and use no hands...

If you love to read, or know someone who does, you need to look at this thing...

I also subscribed to the Houston Chronicle on it. Comes automatically every day...

iPod for books is a great analogy...

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Waiting on mine to arrive. Got the original Kindle but decided to return it & upgrade to the bigger DX model. The view screen on the DX is bigger then the original so I figured that'd be a little easier on my sorry old eyes!! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Ama..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F2YD8FFBK1G3JBE5N28
at $489, that's a lot of paperbacks. my issue with paying that price is that in a few months, the DX will be the older model.

surely therek are ebooks available online that are readable from a laptop. just my 2 cents.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
My attraction to books is a whole lot more than just convenience: there's a lot of tangible and intangible attributes to paper books that I really just flat-out enjoy... Electronics are cool and convenient, but hard-copy books is just one thing I'm not going to easily sacrifice to technological "progress"...

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the Kindle 2, not the DX. Mine was $249. For me, the #1 selling point is that I don't have to go to a bookstore, or wait for a shipment in the mail. Instant gratification. And I get to pretend that I am being environmentally responsible - no trees get cut down... :)

No way I would read books on my laptop - too cumbersome and hard on the eyes.

Not the right answer for everyone I am sure, but it's working for me...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts