2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is going to be a bit chilly. Me and my fishing buddy are headed into the bayou in the morning to go hang some lines. We really want to get a hold of what ever it is that has been straightening our hooks. It should make for a very interesting paddle. I hope we get enough snow to stick. Would make for some really good photos.

I have never been the sharpest tack in the box.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
Some of the biggest crappie I ever caught was during a snow storm on Lake Fork. It seemed like the cold and snow hitting the water just turned them on. I would have to dip the rod tip in the water to get the ice off so I could reel.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
I lived and fished in western OK for the better part of the 90's. I fished for saugeye and hybrids on the small lakes in the area. They normally moved into the shallows after the first frost in Oct. By December the night fishing was really good.
Just needed a catalytic heater, couple of lanterns, Carhart insulated overalls and most of your brains knocked out.
Had to put the fish in an Igloo to keep them from freezing solid. But as SS said I ain't that mad at them any more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
AMEN to that!! On my way to work this morning (8am), they were saying on 100.3 that is was snowing real hard in the galleria area (Houston). Said it was about 1/2 mile visibility. I live and work in Spring and there were a few flurries this morning. The heavy stuff should be here shortly. Yall be safe out there.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
It was sleeting at 8am and started snowing good about 9am here in north Houston. (little York and I-45)
Big flakes too! That usually means it will stick.

Karl

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha ha good stuff, headed out Saturday for some crappie fishing, I was hoping my experience would ring a bell with others about the cold and the crappie. The very best crappie that I have done it has usually been bad to the bone cold, sometimes ice or snow. In my experience they went a wild feeding spree when it was the coldest temps.
Saturday is going to much warmer after the sun comes up, lol!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I was goin to fish tomorrow on Conroe for some crappie but now I am not too sure about it. It was snowing a little here on the west side of Conroe for a little while this morning. I have caught some good fish when it is cold. I remember cathing whites in the river channel and ice was on my line every time I reeled it back in. The whites were stacked up on the bottom and if you let the jig just barely drag on the bottom they would eat it up. One good thing about the really cold weather is you will not have to compete with many other boats.

Matt

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
New update! it's snowing like hell here in North Houston!
Really big flakes!

Shadslinger is going fishing and my butt will be stuck here at work. I wonder if I have enough quarters for dinner!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Karl, if you think it is not too cold for you call me and we can fish for crappie on the north end of conroe tomorrow. We can fish were you launched your kayak last year. I don't have a problem launching my Kenner there. I took my 10 ft Bass Buggy there last week and caught some crappie. That Bass Buggy is too much work loading and unloading all my gear. I may put it up for sale. It is so much easier fishin out of my Kenner and easier to load and unload off of the trailer.

Matt

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Futher update!
The cars and ground are covered with snow. It's also still snowing very hard. May need to look like leaving soon. Wife says there is very little snow in the woodlands.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
welcome to cadillac, michigan................lake snow effect.....think I ve got pic's of that somewhere....Ice hanging from truck......
oh I am in Houston now.....
actually for me this is my second snow in tx...got the first one two days ago...Saginaw,tx
let's go fishing...i bet there some old men sittin out there on Kickapoo creek....snow covered boat...

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
let's go fishing...i bet there some old men sittin out there on Kickapoo creek....snow covered boat...
Careful there Cowboy, we older fishermen prefer to be addressed as Senior Fishermen.
I'm sure there was at least a few on the creek today. If so they desirved every bite they got.
Our little snow event was a complete fizzle here in SW Polk county.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
3:20 report - Snow still falling (HARD) with big flakes. The flakes are the size of quarters now. May need a shovel to get out of here.

i-45 and little York on North Houston.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
hey sunbeam....its say your only a member.....shoot your only 71....a spring chicken. SS he's a senior member....old thing....i don't know how he gets out and fishes so much ...he he. I keep my eye on you senior fisher's....best way to find good fishing holes.
but hate to say....ole bueyes..isn't getting any younger....the few hairs that are left are turning gray. but i ve still got a few!
And if anything I am jealious of the ones that might have gotten to fish in the snow.....if I wasn't running a load to S.A.,tx I 'd probably been sittin out in the snow with them. Really I love to see them (as you say older fishermen) it reminds me of my dad. He would have loved to crappie fish. Guess I am going to have to go back and check some of your post to find out what kinda boat you ve got. Have to keep an eye on you....I bet you know some spots none of us know about. Better yet, we ll go fishin and you can show me.
you know I bet ole SS slide out and went fishing this afternoon.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,944 Posts
Cold??? This is nothing compared to the 80's.

Remember the big freezes in the 80's? I fished Offatts Bayou at the blue hole with saltwater freezing in the rod guides. Ever see ice on Galveston Bay? We had it in the 80's. One of the most amazing sights I've ever seen. We had a 5 degree morning, never will forget it.

Out on Dollar Point, you could litterally pick up big trout and reds that were dieing from the cold...terrible sight.

But back to present...this cold and the good rains should have those stripers and whites moving up the river...and I plan to be moving right with them....as soon as it gets just a little warmer.:walkingsm

Got my gear ready and a game plan...let's get after them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts