2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a camcorder to capture my 18 mos old daughter's moments. She is getting to be quite the personality.
I don't know where to start. Hi 8, Mini DV, DVD Camcorder? So many makes my head swim.
I am fairly computer literate and have a great pc but have never owned a camcorder. I have a Canon A80 Powershot Digital camera and had an Olmpus before. The Canon is great. I use it on auto setting and auto is what I want in a camcorder.
I know of a few sites that have great prices (such as butterflyphoto.com). My budget is $400ish. I could go a little higher. But I could go lower too. Depends...
What is good out there? I know that Canon makes good products but do the make good camcorders?
Know of any non biased camcorder review sites?
I imagine the camcorder will easily make its way into my my fishing and hunting experience too.
OMG, hear that? It just started pouring down outside (what else is new?).

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have a cannon zr-40 mini dv. I love it. The newest version is a zr-80. just have to watch out for the cassettes, the price for a 60 min. is about $10.

james

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought a Sony PD100(?). It's a mini-cam DV with 1.2 meg picture capability. It's about 4 yrs old. Yup I had to buy this from california since it wasn't even on the market. Cost about $1700. Nowadays I think they are about $1200 or less if you buy internet. You can load your movies into your PC via firewire and I believe the new cameras have USB 2.0 also. If you have a DVD burner, it's the way to go. If you want to go cheaper go with the Canon models.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I am also in the market for a video camera. A friend of mine just bought a dvd recorder camera and said they were approx. $800-$1,200. I would prefer to spend $500 max on a camera. It doesn't have to go directly to dvd. As long as I can plug it into my computer, I can convert whatever. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

FC

·
Registered
276 Posts
camcorders

The Canon ZR series have very nice consumer grade picture quality for the price. Canon optics are clean and they're simple to use. If you want to do much editing of your own video invest in a firewire (IEEE1394) port for your computer to make the video capture process faster. You can get into the Canon series for somewhere between $400-700 depending on accessories and model. If you want to spend over $1,000 then there are other options available.

If you're price shopping, you can look at www.bhphotovideo.com and get a pretty good ballpark price that you can use for bargaining power. Good luck on the search, that's part of the fun.

BL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts