2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw where Louisiana is clocking time across bridge from Lafayette to Baton Rouge. If you are less than 18 minutes across bridge, they will mail you a speeding ticket. New law in effect yesterday.

Anybody know more about this if true or not.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I heard this was going into effect. I crossed on July 15 and saw not equipment camera's or anything.
Funny stuff about waiting at the end of the bridge for 18min

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not just that bridge. Accidents and accident-related deaths on all roads and highways have a greatly increased chance of occurrence at high speeds.
If you maintain your equipment, know how to drive, and are not impaired or distracted, traveling fast is really not that dangerous, assuming its not too fast for the road or weather conditions. Unfortunately, the laws have to be made to protect people from the idiots who often don’t do any of the above, of which there are many.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'm definitely someone who exceeds the speed limit a lot of the time I'm driving, though not usually by more than 10 mph. However, if I get a ticket for it, I don't act like they shouldn't enforce the law or imply that it's a money grab. I'm betting that the 18 minute time span for getting ticketed calculates an average speed that exceeds the speed limit by more than 10 mph. If you're doing 90 on that bridge, or any highway, and regardless of the condition of your car and your excellent driving skills, you deserve a ticket.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm definitely someone who exceeds the speed limit a lot of the time I'm driving, though not usually by more than 10 mph. However, if I get a ticket for it, I don't act like they shouldn't enforce the law or imply that it's a money grab. I'm betting that the 18 minute time span for getting ticketed calculates an average speed that exceeds the speed limit by more than 10 mph. If you're doing 90 on that bridge, or any highway, and regardless of the condition of your car and your excellent driving skills, you deserve a ticket.
doing some easy math, they figured it at less than 60mph. google says the bridge is 18.2 miles long.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If you look at the guard rails, its not made for fast speeds. You could break thru and go over like the Lake Pontchartrain causeway. Its the only place I take my time and do 60-65. Since I have family and friends in NO, I travel it often.
Take my time as there are always state police on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Who else is sticking closer to the speed limit given the price of fuel?

I've picked up an extra 2 MPG in city driving by being a little less aggressive, and sticking to the posted speed. I've seen an improvement on the highway as well, but I don't drive much highway, so can't really tell exactly how much. But I'm actually relieved a little when the posted speed drops some on highways, means I burn less fuel, which means I have more money for beer & fishing. :cool:

I can count on one hand the number of times I've driven this particular bridge in my life, but in general, I'm not going to get upset for law enforcement actually enforcing the posted speed. It's my job to abide by the laws, and their job to issue a citation if I don't. If the posted speed is inappropriate, "civil disobedience" is not the correct course of action. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of "automated enforcement"...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts