2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, please know I'm NOT trying to start a nasty back and forth betwenn members, just trying to settle a discussion between a frind of mine and myself. Say your offshore, freelining or trolling baits and a seagull gets all wrapped up in your line. What to do- sacrifice the line for the gull or vice versa? Again- just looking for honest answers not looking to start a fight!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just put a shirt over their head and the will lay still while you unwrap the line/ take out the hook. There is no need to cut the line, that would only kill the gull anyways. As much as I would like to kill those gulls every once in a while, they are just trying to get a free meal like everything else in the ocean.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
All I know is that if and when that thing comes into the boat you are going to be in for a fight. Been there done that LOL.
I cut the line and let the nasty ol sea gull go.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Long as the bird was pretty well intact I'd go to quite a bit of inconvenience to untangle him and release him intact. If he was badly wounded, broken wing, etc., I'd deal with him in the most expetious manner and get back to fishing and try to change something where I didn't "catch" another one.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
reddrum said:
Just put a shirt over their head and the will lay still while you unwrap the line/ take out the hook. There is no need to cut the line, that would only kill the gull anyways. As much as I would like to kill those gulls every once in a while, they are just trying to get a free meal like everything else in the ocean.
I wish I would have known about the shirt trick when it happened to me. It was pandemonium on the boat. We did manage to get all of the line off but it wasn't easy. LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do what you can without getting hurt - people safety first. If you can't get him out without further hurting him, it might be more humane to, you know...Cutting the line and sacrificing the lure is not a good solution since you may further endanger him or other marine life. So not for the cost of the lure or line, but for ethical reasons, try to retrieve your tackle and line.

I try like h%$$ to keep that from happening even if it means pulling in the spread. It takes less time to redeploy than it does to deal with a bird.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Calmday said:
I wish I would have known about the shirt trick when it happened to me. It was pandemonium on the boat. We did manage to get all of the line off but it wasn't easy. LOL
Almost any animal (and lots of fish, esp. Red Snapper) will settle down considerably if you can cover its eyes.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
1. Reel the bird in to the boat, while keeping the rod tip in the water, do not allow the gull to fly.
2. When the bird is at the side of the boat, have you padnuh cover its head with a wet towel.
3. Pick the bird up, with towel over the head, remove the line and let the bird free.
4. Drink a cold beer and say "Stupid *** Bird!!" then start fishin' again....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know of a genetleman who picks a few fetters off and lets them go he claims that the fetters in the water will keep the rest of them away.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Definetly a towel or something to cover it up. They settle down real quick once covered. Works on pelicans too, cover em up then untangle. I don't think I've ever actually hooked one, just tangles.

later, biggreen

·
Registered
243 Posts
In Venice we had pelicans diving down on our baits

on the lump. It got a little irritating after releasing the same bird twice. While taking time to "bring him in" a third time a big arse MAKO came up and ate him. It was pretty exciting for a moment but the shark spat the bird out after a few seconds. The bird was in good enough shape fly away and he did not dive in on our baits anymore.

-CP

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I hear that the breast meat is very good and tastes much like chicken. I believe you can eat as much as you want offshore but there is a zero bag and posession limit once back to shore. If you take a frydady offshore then I think you might kill 2 birds with one frier. I think you must consider that there is a vast shortage of gulls in the gulf and conservation will insure that many tourist get "pooped" on as they feed the ever growing existinct species. Of course, this is a hypothetical answer.

AGF

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've caught 4 so far and safely released all of them. The towel over their eyes works good, and it protects your hands from that beak. I've also rescued 1 that a "sportsman" caught in his line and cut it loose, leaving him to die.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Always-Gone-Fishing said:
I hear that the breast meat is very good and tastes much like chicken. I believe you can eat as much as you want offshore but there is a zero bag and posession limit once back to shore. If you take a frydady offshore then I think you might kill 2 birds with one frier. I think you must consider that there is a vast shortage of gulls in the gulf and conservation will insure that many tourist get "pooped" on as they feed the ever growing existinct species. Of course, this is a hypothetical answer.

AGF
LOL Man thats twisted.:cheers:

·
Registered
43 Posts
That Mako story made me spit coke through my nose.

But yeah, the shirt/towel trick works great, also on pelicans. Unfortunately it does not prevent them crapping all over you while you untangle them. Unappreciative %##%^#@.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts