2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hydraulic steering on my baby cat and am having some problems. I have noticed sometimes if i turn the wheel to the left real slow my motor will not move.......i have to give it a little jerk before the motor will turn. It pretty much acts like it is sticking. I have noticed this happens when the weather gets cold outside........not sure if that is coincidence or not? I have check the fluid level and made sure all the air bubbles are out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai
671 Posts
steering

I know you said that the helm is full of fluid. If you remove the plug, the fluid needs to be all the way to the top to where it starts to spill. If you have a little space, then it needs to be filled plum full and purged. It's better to have an extra set of hands to help you with the purging process. Also, check the hardware thats mounted to the front of the engine. It should all be tight and not loose.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Two or more qts of fluid, you dont wanna use recycled fluid that comes out the ram, cause it has alot of air in it.. turn the motor all the way one way tye it off to that side open valve turn wheel and bleed it takes forever to do it manuelly most of your marine dealers should have a power purge and it can be done in a few minutes!! if you have slack or air you have a leak and need to find that and reseal it, both helm and ram a very easy to reseal.. you will see the helm leaking, if you have a slight residue anywhere on the ram or arms thats your prob.. steering doesnt just go bad it has to leak and you can find it easy too, i use a white paper towel and wipe the ram down wel, you can pressure test it by turn one quarter turn after the wheel stops hold it then rewipe your ram.. Good luck

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
sea star gives you detailed instructions on thier site, like they said earlier best if you have an extra hand to help. Muck like bleeding the brakes on a car.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have a question. I guess I always thought hydraulic steering was for larger engines. Wouldn't no feed back steering work about as well on a 90 HP?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you are probably right kenny but the boat came with it and i can pretty much turn it with one finger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts