2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used boat, complete with power tilt & trim as well as a Bob's Jack Plate. Noticed the hydraulic fluid reservoir is nearly empty and need info on what to add. Are there grades of hydraulic fluid, like oil at 30 weight or 10w30 etc. or does one size fit all and is it anything special or will just any old hydraulic fluid at any auto parts etc. store be just fine?

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,625 Posts
From the Bob's website, the last step in the installation instructions:

Fill the reservoir with the jack plate in the down position to the max line on the reservoir (oil is provided). Run the plate up and down several times, then check reservoir and refill to max line again. (The oil that we use for the hydraulic jac plate is a 20 weight non detergent motor oil, 20w-20. You may also use a good grade light hydraulic oil).

Hope that helps,
Tim

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I missing something....it appears there is a single reservior for the motor and the jack plate, same fulid for both or have I just not found a second reservoir?

·
1,625 Posts
No, you're correct. There is only one reservoir and it is under the motor/pump. You fill it once and then stroke the jackplate to fill the lines. This will take a certain amount out of the reservoir. You'll then need to fill it back up to the 'full' mark. Kind of like filling the oil filter on your car after you've started the engine for the first time after an oil change.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't see a full mark on the reservoir bottle but will look more closely with better light tomorrow. "Under the motor/pump" refers to the jack plate motor in a dry well correct, not the boat motor.

·
1,625 Posts
Yes, this is the motor/pump:

The line is probably hard to see, but I'm not sure you can really overfill the thing without it coming out of the top. I'd just fill it up to within a half-inch or so of the top if you can't find the line.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.