2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deer lease not far from the woodlands. It's only 40 acres, but it has around two thousand acres around it. It has not been hunted and has deer, fish, hogs and ducks. The owner is asking $5000 and only will allow two hunters. It seems high, but I hate the drive to the hill country.
Does this seem too much?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a creek and several small ponds. It's right in the middle of several thousand acres. It's close to my home and looks really good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you can afford it an you’re happy, that’s all that matter. An would be convenient for you sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
lots of spots for $1000-$1500 for deer and hogs, my experience is most of the time people will say ducks because they have a cow pond but that doesn't mean its stacked with ducks daily during season. And of course if they haven't leased it in yrs. then they want more than its worth also means they will be all up on u the whole time but hopefully not. LOL, G Luck u really never now till u hunt a place.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You mentioned twice that it is surounded by thousands of acres. Private or public land? Just because the land is next to you doesn't mean you can hunt it.

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
You mentioned twice that it is surounded by thousands of acres. Private or public land? Just because the land is next to you doesn't mean you can hunt it.
I believe that when they say this they're implying that since their properties are low fenced, deer. etc. from the adjacent acreage can move or be drawn into the leased property at will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The land borders, on one side a nature preserve on the three other sides it an oilfield. It's around 15 minutes from my house. It's all bottom land and nice. The owner really would like to sell it and I am thinking about buying it. He told me it's not worth his time leasing for anything less. I am planning on leasing it today. It is high, but when I have a lease that takes me several hours to get to, I don't go and other times there are people issues that are a pain to deal with. There are several nice ponds. (They used the dirt to build the oil field roads.) There is a creek that splits it. Good places are hard to find and I like the fact that I have control of the place.
I put out 50lb of corn in one spot and it was gone the next day.

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
The land borders, on one side a nature preserve on the three other sides it an oilfield. It's around 15 minutes from my house. It's all bottom land and nice. The owner really would like to sell it and I am thinking about buying it. He told me it's not worth his time leasing for anything less. I am planning on leasing it today. It is high, but when I have a lease that takes me several hours to get to, I don't go and other times there are people issues that are a pain to deal with. There are several nice ponds. (They used the dirt to build the oil field roads.) There is a creek that splits it. Good places are hard to find and I like the fact that I have control of the place.
I put out 50lb of corn in one spot and it was gone the next day.
Bottom land and 50 pounds of corn dumped in one place and gone in a day! Sounds like a lot of hogs to me! Let me know if you need help trying to control them! LOL. Good luck. Life is short so do what you can to enjoy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, hog heaven. Racoons too. Seen a couple of gators too. I plan to thin them out.

Bottom land and 50 pounds of corn dumped in one place and gone in a day! Sounds like a lot of hogs to me! Let me know if you need help trying to control them! LOL. Good luck. Life is short so do what you can to enjoy!

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
If you pay more to lease it now since he says that he's willing to sell it to you later, I'd get that agreement in a legal, binding contract. If not, he might change his mind or sell it to the highest bidder later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are no amenities. There was a small cabin, but it's falling apart. It's close to home and a great place to hunt, fish and shoot. The road dead-ends into the place and there is a small pad with crushed rock. If I buy it, I plan to build a cabin close to where the old one is.
Good idea on getting an agreement/contract. I plan to do that. Thank you.
I am picking up a bunch of deer on the game camera.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts