2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Get enough Brazos in your diet.
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the long and short of it. I've been deer hunting for a little over a year now. Took me long enough to get started, I know, but better late than never!

So, I have used a Marlin 30-30 to bag a mulie buck, an axis doe, and a good eatin' sized hog in the past year. Lots of fun, good eating, great new hobby.

Now I'm ready for something with a little more umph, more accuracy and all that. I've settle on the 30-06 cartridge after much consideration, as this may be a rifle I'll hunt with for many many years to come. The problem is, I don't have much money to spring for a nice new rifle. Here's my two options, as I see it:

Find a deal on a Savage or Stevens, accurate right out of the box but not much to look at, not really heirloom material here, but will probably serve me well for several decades if I take care of it.

Or, look at pawn shops or gunsmiths/used gun shops in town to find a nice used jewel to make my own, hoping I can find something functional if not pristine that will serve me well for quite a while, assuming I don't get screwed by the salesman, etc.

So, what do yall think? $200-300 to play with here (I've already got a Redfield scope to put on it, so don't worry 'bout the glass), do yall think I have a shot at finding something older, vintage, but still a shooter, or should I go for the Savage 111 or something like that?
What have yall found in your years of gun hunting that makes you proud?
Thanks,
Brazos

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
Save up a little more (you have till November)...Get a Remington 700 SPS. They are very affordable, still have the 700 action, and there are more upgrades commercially available for the Remington 700 than any other model. From Drop in triggers, to high quality replacement stocks (would be my first upgrade). Gives you a nice platform on which to build an heirloom.

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
new gun

You could save a little more money and wait until about august. Go to carters country and do a 12 month intrest free finance. Buy a new remington 30.06 sps and put a nikon 3x9x40 prostaff scope on it. Or just shop around and see what you can find but for $200 - $300 you wont find much.. Weatherby has a nice little package right out of the box with scope and all thats cheap. You could look at the remington 700 adl at academy and put the nikon prosport on it.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Great choice in the 30-06. In my opinion it's the most versatile caliber out there. 110 gr bullets all the way up to 220's. And with Hornady's new powders and ammunition, you will have power equal to a "pre hornady" 300 winmag.

Good luck, you'll find one,

THE "LOVE MY GRANDDAD'S PRE 64 MODEL 70 30-06 MADE THE YEAR I WAS BORN" JAMMER

·
Registered
1 Posts
You would be suprised at the deals on SETX .com. Folks are in a bind for on reason or another needing quick cash, so you might find what you are lookin for for a good price.
The 006 is good but a 270 is flat and accurate and I am telling you because I have used for 20 years and I love my gun, have never thought of using anything else.
You will know once you have taken some animals what you are going to stick with but don't rule out the 270 you just might love it!

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
You might call CDNN Investments. I am told they emailed out to some customers a notice that they are closing out the Remington 798s at good prices. You would have to have it shipped -- not sure if you need an FFL to take it since it is in-state but they can advise.

For those who are not familiar, these are rifles built on Zastava-made commerical Mauser actions based on the old FN Supreme design. Not as smooth as the FNs but a Masuser action nonetheless.

They supposedly have calibers from .243 to .458.

Again this was a special deal and is not on the catalogue on their website when I checked yesterday.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A little far for you but a good shop to look at is Bob's Pawn Shop in Woodville Tx. He ordered a new Savage and Burris Scope for a buddy of mine cheaper than anyone here in the greater Houston area. We hunt in that area so it was no big deal for us to deal with him. He does do minor gunsmithing, plus he always has a great varity of firearms in stock, new and used.
We swing by there about once a month !!!!

·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great responses, guys, and I appreciate every one of em. Something i didn't mention in my first post is that I'm not much of a tinkerer, and I don't have lots of surplus cash to upgrade a rifle or even the desire to at this point. Guess you could say I don't know enough yet about the realm of rifles to know what I want, exactly, except to just have a gun that will hit what animal I point it at and hold its functionality as long as I take care of it. Not target shooting or putting three rounds through the same hole accuracy, just to take down what I'm hunting. What else can anyone want, I guess, huh?

Anyway, I've loved the Remington brand forever, but I'm thinking that, unless I find a good deal on a used 700 at a pawn shop or used gun shop, I will be deciding between a Marlin xl7 and a Savage. Is the accutrigger really as worth it as it's hyped to be? Maybe I don't understand the complexities involved in pulling a trigger, but all I hear is that it's the best factory trigger for the money. Can a heavy trigger pull really throw off your accuracy so much? (Is it a hi-jacking if I started the original thread? ;-)

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
It is not just trigger weight but how cleanly it breaks. A decent weight and crisp trigger makes a rifle much easier to shoot well.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
You might call CDNN Investments. I am told they emailed out to some customers a notice that they are closing out the Remington 798s at good prices. You would have to have it shipped -- not sure if you need an FFL to take it since it is in-state but they can advise.

For those who are not familiar, these are rifles built on Zastava-made commercial Mauser actions based on the old FN Supreme design. Not as smooth as the FNs but a Mauser action nonetheless.

They supposedly have calibers from .243 to .458.

Again this was a special deal and is not on the catalogue on their website when I checked yesterday.
Here is the info I got from someone on another board, from the notice CDNN sent out:

Phone No is:800-588-9500

REMINGTON BOLT-ACTION RIFLES

Remington 798 • 243 • 22" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock • New
#REM89831 $389.99

Remington 798 • 30-06 • 22" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock • New
#REM89830 $399.99

Remington 798 • 30-06 • 22" barrel • Black Synthetic Stock •New
#REM89807 $329.99

Remington 798 • 30-06 • 22" Matte •Walnut Stock • New
#REM89842 $399.99

Remington 798 • 30-06• 22" Barrel •Walnut Stock • 3x9 Scope • New
#REM89870 $429.99

Remington 798 • 300Win• 24" Barrel • Walnut Stock •3x9 Scope • New
#REM89871 $429.99

Remington 798 • 308• 22" Barrel •Black Synthetic Stock • New
#REM89806 $329.99

Remington 798 • 308 • 22" Barrel • Green Laminate Stock • New
#REM89832 $389.99

Remington 798 • 308• 22" Barrel • Walnut Stock • New
#REM89843 $399.99

Remington 798 • 7mmRem Mag• 24" Barrel • Walnut Stock • New
#REM89844 $399.99

Remington 798 Express •458 • 26" Barrel •Deluxe Walnut Stock • New
#REM89849 $599.99

Remington 798 Express •375 H&H• 26" Barrel •Deluxe Walnut Stock • New
#REM89847 $599.99

Remington 798 Express • 375 H&H •26" Barrel •Green Laminate Stock • New
#REM89826 $499.99

Remington 798 Express •375H&H• 26" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock • New
#REM89836 $499.99

Remington 798 Express • 458 Win Mag• 26" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock • New
#REM89837 $499.99

Remington 798 Express • 458 Win Mag• 26" Barrel •Green Laminate Stock • New
#REM89827 $499.99

Remington 798 • 300Win Mag • 24" Barrel •Walnut Stock •New
#REM89845 $399.99

Remington 799 •22 Hornet • 20" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock • Mini Mauser Style • New
#REM89852 $389.99

Remington 799 • 223 • 20" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock •Mini Mauser Style New
#REM89850 $389.99

Remington 799 •792x39 • 20" Barrel •Brown Laminate Stock •Mini Mauser Style • New
#REM89853 $389.99

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would also look at the Weatherby Vanguard they had a sale for $399 and it is a very nice rifle. Tikka's were close to your price but have gone up recently.

I would save up and shop around awhile. Those 798s are a great deal and the rifle will get smoother with use. The Stevens is in your price range but just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

·
"It's not dying I'm talking about."
561 Posts
The Marlin XL7 has basicily the same stock as a Remington and it's pillar bedded. The profire trigger is very simular to the Savage accutrigger. The bolt is fluted and is very smooth and the barrel attaches with a barrel nut like the Savage. It has a target style recessed muzzle crown to protect the rifling. They are extremely accurate right out of the box and you can pick one up for $260.00 to $300.00 depending on where you shop.

They didn't make a wall hanger but took all the functional stuff that works and put in a rifle tht's very affordable.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/default.asp

·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoops, think I've changed my mind. Might be pulling the trigger on a Marlin XS7 in .308 instead of '06 at Academy. We'll see, I might change back though. $260 aint bad for a gun I'll probably use for 50 years!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Don't go selling the Savage line short!!!!with the accutrigger,the Savage is one of the most accurate factory rifles around ...and not too shabby in the looks department...I like the SS and synthetic for a hunting rifle because it is as tough as the elements you will submit it too...and won't change it's zero with a little moisture...Check um out.If you don't like the synthetic,look at the laminated....Savage Rocks!!!

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
I'm partial to my Weatherby,as everyone on this site knows...cost400 +tax ...put that redfield on it and go to work............If you dont want the Redfield I'm looking for another Redfield Widefield....do not Skimp on the mounts ....I've said it before and I'll say it again...your gun ain't no better than your scope and your scope ain't no better than your mounts....good luck....rio

1 - 19 of 19 Posts