2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post but thought that you might like to look at these.Being an ex interior firefighter and now a chemical fireman i thought i would post some mor pics from my latest vacation to New York. We went to Ground Zero. It was the most humbling experience that i think that i have had. I was filled with emotion when we got off the subway and walked down to what is now a huge hole in the ground. I was filled with sorrow and anger. I couldn't believe that some people were standing around laughing and taking pictures of each other. I know that i took some pics but i was definitely not laughing or smiling. I was fortunate enough to meet some of the bravest men that i have ever met. There is a firehouse right across the street from Ground Zero and I was able to meet some of the guys from there. They welcomed us in and gave us a tour of the place. The only thing that they asked was to not take pictures of the inside. Inside they had pictures of their fallen commrades and a memorial set up with a crumbled up street sign from that day. I proudly shook all of their hands and told them thank you. Here are a few pics from there. We must never forget. Thank you to all the men and women serving for this nation to protect our freedom and our home land.
In the last picture, if you look closely you can see a halo that was put around ground zero that day by 4 fighter jets

Attachments

·
Big daddy slim
485 Posts
We had a convention in Miami a few years back and the NY Port authorithy put on a program There wasn't a dry eye in the place, NEVER FORGET! all these men and women are HEROS GOD BLESS THEM.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Don't travel much

I don't travel much but we fish alot on the coast.

So I have made arrangements for my wife to go to NY w. 5 of her girl friends
to go see all the sights of NY for 5 days in about 2 weeks.
She's already ready to cry.

I hope they have a great trip.

My older brother was in the subway system during 9-11.
We were afraid he was gone until we finally heard from him at about 10AM.
I was pretty upset.

·
The Republic of Texas
4,607 Posts
Great post bud. Thanks for raising awareness on an issue we should never forget. Good pics and glad your becoming a great asset to the board.

Hope your trip was a great one!!!

You ain't missin much here at work.

Mike

ps. Had to spread some reputation around before I could give ya another greenie!!! Heres and I.O.U.!!!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
we should never forget what happened to us as a country on that day.

I know that ever time a life is lost on the fire ground that new rules/new equipment always follows. Seems like the fire depts of our country operate on the catosphere (sp) principle, . Hats off an a prayer for those still in harms way, everyday is a new experience.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
I went there last year and yes it is very humbling. I was not in favor of going to NY myself but once we got there I had a blast. There is so much History in that town and so much to do. Not to mention we where there for Westminster Dog show and the parties we got invited to. That city knows how to party that is one thing for sure..

Ground Zero looks a little different now from your pictures but one thing that I remember about going there. You hear cars and all the other hussle and bussle of the area on the way there, when I stepped out on the platform they had at the time it seemed silent. I even mentioned that to my wife and she felt the same way.

Unless you see it you really can not explain it, I hope we never have such a thing on our soil again in the great US...

FN

·
Practice safe fishing; use a Corky
1,697 Posts
A very touching post. When we hit our knees tonight, let's not forget those firefighters, police officers, and our service personnel. 9/11 made a lot of people realize how amazing and courageous the people are who run toward danger; not away from it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts