2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all,

I’m considering buying a used skiff. The hull appears to have some oyster rash. Do you think this is fine? Or would you be concerned?
Water Sky Fluid Fog Atmospheric phenomenon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi y’all,

I’m considering buying a used skiff. The hull appears to have some oyster rash. Do you think this is fine? Or would you be concerned? View attachment 4602624
Great Wednesday Morning

The scratches are fine easy fix. This is very nothing to worry about there. It’s mainly surface scratches.

But the dark areas are gashes in the gel coat.

The areas that’s are dark is the fiber glass. When it get wet it turns black. It’s not major but That needs to be repaired by filling in those darker areas with gel coat then you can get it wet sanded and smooth out. NOT MAJOR OR A DEAL BREAKER UNLESS you have another areas like that with gashes in the gel coat.

If left like that eventually it could get bigger and cause a bigger problem down the road. (Possibility depending how old the boat is)

I worked at a fiber glass boat repair shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Wednesday Morning

The scratches are fine easy fix. This is very nothing to worry about there. It’s mainly surface scratches.

But the dark areas are gashes in the gel coat.

The areas that’s are dark is the fiber glass. When it get wet it turns black. It’s not major but That needs to be repaired by filling in those darker areas with gel coat then you can get it wet sanded and smooth out. NOT MAJOR OR A DEAL BREAKER UNLESS you have another areas like that with gashes in the gel coat.

If left like that eventually it could get bigger and cause a bigger problem down the road. (Possibility depending how old the boat is)

I worked at a fiber glass boat repair shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the guidance! It’s a 2018 hull, plan to take care of the darker areas, but will likely have a shop do it as I’m not sure I know enough LOL

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
1,057 Posts
Thank you for the guidance! It’s a 2018 hull, plan to take care of the darker areas, but will likely have a shop do it as I’m not sure I know enough LOL
If you get the gel blended to color from the manufacturer, you can fix it with painters tape, a putty knife and sandpaper.

·
Retired and working
1,587 Posts
This is a used boat and that much oyster rash is whole heartedly expected. Look at the rest of the boat for issues. There is nothing to see there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts