2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
This happens alot in the fall , even around here.

I got into a school with customers last month of about 1500/2000 that was mixed reds and jacks. It was about 3 miles east of the tip of the north jetty in galveston.. Poor guys were so worn out they called in sick for work the next day lol.

You can find those schools often in the fall, IF you know what to look for. We have a few experts on here that are very good at finding them. Wish i was one of those guys lol

Thomas

·
The big one weighed 10.25 lbs!
870 Posts
In July, 1997 a very large school of reds moved up and down the ship channel on the north jetty. I was anchored up on the rocks catching some solid 3#-5# trout and the school of reds came by 6 different times. Some were oversized but we did manage to catch 9 upper slot fish for our limit. I thought it was a strange event for July.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yep,I have been into a few huge schools of reds like that comming in from offshore trips in the fall. Last trip we came into one about 2 miles off the port A jetties it was about 100 yrds wide and at least a mile long. I put three guys on the bow with spinning reels and big spoons. When they would cast into the school and the spoon was about a foot off the water the fish would go nuts. They would clear the surface of the water trying to grab the spoons. We fallowed the school and must have caught and released at least 75 of these reds in a couple of hrs. Needless to say eveyone one the boat was wore out....It made a good ending for a great day offshore.

·
The Antaginator
5,962 Posts
I got into a school of black drum like that fishing out of Port Mansfield back in August. Water just boiled up with fish, was pretty impressive.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Back in the day, every April in Copano Bay until some genius with money built a resort in top of our top secret honey hole. They call it Red Fish Lodge! I'm still miffed!

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Proof that restricted possession and slot limits work. When I moved to Houston in 1967 you could fish a whole summer and not catch one red that size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts