2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking here for a few months. The site is a wealth of info. and is populated with some great folks. Turned a coworker onto the site after Ike, as he was trying to find info on his place in Pirates.

Heading across in two weeks for a long weekend of fishing. Most of us have not been there before. We'll be taking guides out on Thurs, but we're on our own for Fri & Sat and have boats. We'll be staying in/near Hackberry I think.

Any suggestions or tips or warnings in the aftermath of Ike? I saw LaAngler's post from right after the storm. Is everything back to normal? TIA

·
Get the Net!
1,236 Posts
I'm heading that way this evening after work to meet a buddy of mine who's been tearing them up as of late. On Wednesday he had limits on reds & flounder and had several trout as well. Plan on fishing Saturday morning and possibly Sunday as well. Never been fishing in Louisiana before so I'm really looking forward to it (bought my Non-Resident Fishing License last night over the internet - only $60, not too bad).

Then again, I'm not sure if it's necessary to go all the way to Calcasieu when they're smoking em under the birds in Trinity and Sabine, but again I've never been there so hopefully it'll be worth the trip.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Troutfisch, unless the license has gone down you didnt buy the correct one. You need to buy the non-resident fish pass and salt water pass. They should equal 90 dollars.

·
Get the Net!
1,236 Posts
NON-RESIDENT RECREATIONAL LICENSE FEES

LICENSEFEE

Non-Resident Basic Fish Season
$60.00​

Non-Resident Basic Fish Trip (1 day)
$ 5.00​

Non-Resident Basic Fish Trip (4-day)
$15.00​

Non-Resident Saltwater Season
$30.00​

Non-Resident Saltwater Trip (1-day)
$15.00​

Non-Resident Saltwater Trip (4-day)
$45.00​

* Charter Passenger (3 day)
$ 5.00​

** Non-Resident Charter Skiff (3-day) I bought the Non-Resident Basic Fish Season for $60. You're saying I also need the Non-Resident Saltwater Season for an additonal $30? And here I thought the Basic covered Freshwater and Saltwater - guess it's only the former.

If so, I'll have to order that while I have some down time at work today.

·
Registered
388 Posts
was there yesterday, 3 of us caught at least 60 trout and probably 20 reds, we kept 15 trout & 5 reds. Troutfisch you must also buy the NON RESIDENT SALTWATER 30.00.

·
Get the Net!
1,236 Posts
plastics man said:
was there yesterday, 3 of us caught at least 60 trout and probably 20 reds, we kept 15 trout & 5 reds. Troutfisch you must also buy the NON RESIDENT SALTWATER 30.00.
Alright will do - and in the back of my mind I thought $60 was a bit too cheap for a Non-resident fishing license...:D

Thanks for the report too btw.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I talked to the folks over at Spicer's and they do not have any lodging available and the bait shop is closed until the end of the year. I don;t know about Hebert's I was going to try to call over there today. I am heading over ther in a couple of weeks and am looking for lodging as well for a few days. I would think the ramps should be fine at Spicer's, don't know for sure. I can't wait to get back over there!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Troutfisch, love to hear how you did when you get back.

Plastics Man, did you run across a lot of debris in the water? You fishing the main lake or off in the marshes behind the flood gates on the east side?

·
<***********>< Fish on.
3,101 Posts
plastics man said:
we were east, not much debris in the water but alot up on the banks, by the way we were back at the ramp at 11:00
With a full box or empty handed? Any size to the ones you caught?

·
Registered
579 Posts
plastics man said:
From the first page salth2o

·
Registered
68 Posts
As for your license, you need the basic to fish anywhere and the salt water to fish south of the salt water line. in the western part of the state the line is the intercoastal waterway.Which includes all of Calcasieu / a.k.a. BIG LAKE. Try to get some lodging in Sulphur. They have several really nice new hotels and your only about 10 miles north of Hackberry. It's a straight shot down la27.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hebert's Marina

Does anybody have a good number for Hebert's Marina? I've googled up four different phone numbers and they are either disconnected or a wrong number. Need to make sure that the ramp is open and whether or not they have bait. If they don't have bait, we'll be buying lots of gulp before heading across.

The reports here and on LA Sportsman shows lots of promise. Let's see if we can connect when it's our turn.

·
Team Deloitte
250 Posts
Well my fishing partner and I headed down last weekend to fish with Mark Huse at Hackberry Charters. The fishing was excellent. However the folks down there got blasted again by Ike. It is a shame, these are really special people and have now had 2 Hurricanes in 3 years. We had almost a limit of trout, including some 3+ pounders on the first day to go with about 10 Redfish and a few nice flounders. On Sunday we had a couple of dozen trout and a limit of Redfish with more flounders. On Sunday we spent most of the day in the wildlife refuge chasing Redfish on Topwaters and Gulps. At the "Weirs", or spillways, the boats were stacked deep and so were the redfish.

I highly recommend Mark and Hackberry charters, especially with his new 25 ft. YellowFin.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am heading that way this morning to fish this afternoon and tomorrow. I'll post a report on Monday...hopefully we'll tear them up.

Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts