2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to post up a great 2 year old lab "free to good home" but I need to be sure the home is actually a good one. I'm hoping to get some help as to how to verify a complete stranger's "good home." I know I'm a big baby, but for some reason I'm having a hard time letting go of this dog. :(

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Send a PM to Belinda.

She is our resident expert. She works with the Lab Rescue, fosters labs prior to adoption, and knows how to 'verify a good home'...I guarantee!!!!

She will help you in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
There are several things you can do to make sure he goes to a good home. First, when you interview someone find out what pets they have now and what they have had in the last few years. What happened to them? Did they get hit by cars? Die of heartworms? Shot by the guy down the road? Or did the last three dogs they had die at the ripe old age of 16? Ask for permission to call their vet to VERIFY this. You can do a home visit to make sure they have a fence, that they will be comfortable with the dog in the house, and that the dog gets along well with their current pets. I would also make sure he is neutered. And I wouldn't give the dog away for free. Even charging $50.00 is better than nothing. Dogs are not cheap, if the new owner cannot afford the cost of an adoption fee, how can he afford to take the dog to the vet when he is sick? Don't be afraid to tell someone "no". If you don't feel good about them then move on! You may want to check with your local lab rescue group. They might could help you place him. Let me know if I can do anything, I will be happy to help if I can.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,524 Posts
What Belinda said! The neutering thing especially. Nothing against responsible breeders, but some people just want a puppy factory. If it was August, I might have taken him. I always said I'd get another dog when I got a yard. I've got a big yard now, but I have some summer galavanting to do. - Coach

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hey Coach, Don't let that stop you. I know a GREAT boarding facility that my dogs love to visit when I have to be out of town! :smile: :smile:

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Belinda covered most of it but here is some past experience.

Honestly it is a hard thing to do and sometimes can go wrong. We breed dogs but don't let them go to just any home. Also we do a home visit and if they have other dogs make sure they get along with the others. We never let a dog go that is going to be two males or two females, sometimes they just do not get along and more prone if they are the same sex. If the dog is shy of the person then sorry, he does not need to go with them.

Also big thing would be recomendations from someone you trust, that helps allot. Our last litter went to someone that we knew through someone that was waiting for a pet.

We breed but it is not for the money, my wife shows them and usually you don't make money if you do it right. Like Belinda said get him neutered before you let him go.

I have to ask if you are attached to this dog why give him away?

Here's our last litter and the guy on the right got to stay...

FN

Attachments

·
Done Wit Dat
7,524 Posts
Well, it wouldn't be fair to do that to a pup right away. My dog I've had since I was 16 (32 now) died last year a week before my parents had to refugee here from New Orleans. Mom says she knew Katrina was coming and she wouldn't have made it through the evacuation. She had become mom's dog since I moved to TX in 2000. Man, I miss her. Man, all this has me really wanting a new buddy. I've got to wait out the summer though. The cats have kept me happy for 6 years. - Coach

PS: Fishnut, you are one of the responsible breeders. Sounds like you do a great job!

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fishnut said:
I have to ask if you are attached to this dog why give him away?
Mostly because I can't stand him rotting in my backyard. He's not disciplined enough to go hunting or take to the beach (my fault, not his). Right after buying this dog we had quite a few life changes hit us and he ended up just growing up as a backyard dog, nothing close to what I had planned. He just turned 2 years old on March 22nd and when we play fetch I say every time that he's the fastest and strongest dog I've ever seen, he takes off so fast that chunks of grass go flying like he's got a really bad golf swing. I have an older lab, 9 years old, and she lives in the house with us because she was raised properly. This big boy though, he overpowers the kids when they open the door to go into the backyard and he gets in the house and my wife isn't strong enough to get him out of the house if he doesn't want to go. Quite honestly I should have offered him up when he was still young, but he's got a great pedigree and "happy go lucky" personality that I kept telling myself we'd spend more time with him and it just doesn't happen. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Fuzzy Radar

·
Done Wit Dat
7,524 Posts
LOOK AT THAT FACE! He's going to find someone that can treat him right and train him up. - Coach

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If he has a high "ball drive" I can put him to work as a drug dog! I know and love the trainer, she is a very kind lady who takes very good care of her dogs. The only real requirement is that he should want to fetch more than anything else in the world.

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bay Gal, no he's not nuetered. The chunk is a little beeper buzzer for the electric fence. He breaks the boards right off the privacy fence and goes under the chain link double fence I put up to keep him away from the privacy fence. Since putting that collar on and burying the cable for the RF transmitter he never even challenges it anymore.

Belinda, he will fetch until your arms fall off. If I can take him somewhere for an interview I'd be glad to do so, but he doesn't really know any commands other than "sit" and he will only do that one for me.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It is ok if he won't do anything else. Ball crazy is what matters here! If you would like I can give the trainer your phone number and you can talk to her about him. She can tell you all about her program. Can you pm me your phone number? I will have her call you tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have a feeling that he will make it! He sounds like just what she is looking for.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
If that doesn't work out, post up, and we'll find a Plan B. He's a fine looking guy with lots to offer a new family.

ps. Thanks for caring so much about his future well being.

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, my wife just called and said Belinda just picked him up. I'm glad I wasn't home when she took him away, was having a hard time playing fetch with him for the last time last night. Thanks for helping out Belinda, sure hope he makes it into that drug dog program.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts