2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The real function of this key is to make a "snapshot" of your screen? If you have some imaging software (or a good word processor), you can then paste it into there and crop, etc.
Here's how: To capture the whole screen, just hit the Print Screen (it might say Prt Sc) button on your keyboard.
Then, open your imaging software (and a blank page, if you need to - it will depend on your software) and select your "Paste" command (usually Ctrl+V).

This should paste an image of your computer screen into the document you're working on. You can also paste the image into a word processing program like MS Word or WordPerfect if you don't have imaging software. (With Word 2000 and newer, you might need to have the program open before your hit Prt Sc for the screenshot to go to the clipboard).

If you would like to capture only the current window, hold down the ALT button while you press the Print Screen button. This is extreamly helpful when asking questions about some LONG error message, instead of writing everything down, now just use the PrtScn key. Then if you save the image you can attach it just like an image. Help is on the way.

·
Charter Member
5,923 Posts
Good info, Bill. Here's an example...

I captured the screen from my Garmin Mapsource program. Next I pasted the image into Paint Shop Pro. Then I cropped out just the map portion of the image.
Finally, I used "Save As" to save the pic as a .jpg image. Now I can post it here on the board or paste it into MS Word, etc.

VOILA!

Mike

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts