2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
They don't call me Lucky for no reason..
1,295 Posts
I used your claw method the other day at a popular redfish spot and some guys were laughing until they saw me catch some redfish. Thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
How long will the bite on crab be on? Till the water starts warming up?
I usually start using it around October and stop around April depending on the weather. When the water's warm the little trash fish will peck a crab clean in a few seconds.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Thanks!

These are a lot like the Perch rigs we use up north. I imagine they will work just as well drop fishing or drifting from a boat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
anything up to 100 lb test just use improved clinch knot, be sure and wet your knot before you tighten it, if you dont when you pull it tight it will weaken the knot. I have NEVER has a knot come loose or break at the knot. I use sliding spiderweight rig. I use very short leader about 12 to 14 inches on the hook end. On sliding section I use about 2 to 3 foot. In order to cast farther with a heavy spider weight use this trick, I hang my bait on one of the spider weight wires through the eye of the hook, make sure wire is perfectly straight with no bends in it, other than where the wire meets the weight, you can bend it there as needed. Old school theory is that redfish and Drum feed on bottom, so the short leader keeps it close to bottom. Old School theory also suggest that a Redfish or drum will drop the bait if there is too much resistance from the weight. Since spider weights anchor down pretty good, the sliding spider weight on the 2 to 3 foot leader makes the resistance less and allows for high percentage of hookups. The other secret is using the circle hook. a very high percentage of hookups. My Father in law uses the 2 drop hook rig, this has the weight on the bottom and he does very well also, but he cant cast as far as I do using the sliding spider weight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Very useful & thoughtful info.
How come you don't Snell hooks with an offset eye ?????

We have to use this Owen Lupton rig for Bull Reds aka Old Drum by law in the Pamlico Sound.
Prevents deep hooking the breeders. ...... ICM

·
Banned
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Very useful & thoughtful info.
How come you don't Snell hooks with an offset eye ?????

We have to use this Owen Lupton rig for Bull Reds aka Old Drum by law in the Pamlico Sound.
Prevents deep hooking the breeders. ...... ICM
There is no reason to snell a hook, just using circle hooks prevents deep hooking fish. I can make a complete leader in less time than it takes to snell 1 hook. I understand that things are done differently on the East Coast and there's nothing wrong with that, but here in Texas ,we do it better and faster so we have more time to drink beer.:brew2::brew2:

·
Registered
279 Posts
There is no reason to snell a hook, just using circle hooks prevents deep hooking fish. I can make a complete leader in less time than it takes to snell 1 hook. I understand that things are done differently on the East Coast and there's nothing wrong with that, but here in Texas ,we do it better and faster so we have more time to drink beer.:brew2::brew2:
Sounds good, save me a place on the sand bar. .......:cheers:.....ICM

·
Banned
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
With this cold weather, it's time to use crab in the surf. I just wanted to bring this up for people who haven't seen it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Crab for Bait

Excellent info Mr. Sharkchum. I had not figured out how to effectively use the claws yet. It was bugging me because I knew that somehow, they had to be good bait. Hated wasting them.
A friend caught a nice red fish from the end of the pier at Pleasure Island using a claw.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fresh caught just killed crab is superior redfish bait.

Kill the live crab when you are ready to hook it up, break it in half and break off both big claws. Fresh dead crab is dramatically more effective bait than day or 2 old frozen crab. Leave the juicy guts in the crab when you hook it up. Crack the claw shell and use the claws as a separately bait.
The best place I know of to get (buy) fresh crab is from the Viet-men crabbers when they are running traps in the morning or at the boat when they are taking their boats out of the water. Develope a crabber buddy that will sell you fresh caught crabs direct. It easy to keep crabs alive several days, keep them cool and covered with wet burlap. You can also get fresh caught crab at any crab house around the Galveston Bay complex or it’s easy to catch crabs with chicken necks tied to string and a dip-net.
You can also get the freshest live crab off shrimp boats when the pull in their nets, watch for the shrimp boats for the highest quality live bait fish and crabs.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts