2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
in response to Z:

If fishing the surf you will need more than a small weight. Most of us use spider weights (my standard is 4 oz.) on a leader. Some have the weight at the end of the longer leader section, some have the hook on the longer section. There are lots of fish caught on both. Either use the search feature or go back through old threads here and you will find numerous threads on how to make your own leaders by some of the experienced surf fishermen here. Most will recommend not to use "store-bought" premade leaders as the components and connections typically have a high failure rate. There are individuals who make and sell quality leaders and some of them post in this section. You dont want to lose a PB because of a failed swivel or connection.

·
Registered
445 Posts
in reference to crawfish for bait - after a "boil" , we collect all the discarded hulls and freeze them in an onion type bag - we sink the bag when bottom fishing or hang it over the side to form a chum line as it thaws

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do y'all know of bait shops (or grocery stores) on 288 down towards surfside that have live crabs? All I have ever been able to find has been dead or frozen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
While using live crab for bait, I've taken the claws and cooked them right there with a Bic lighter. They are EXCELLENT! Best crab you will ever eat.

·
Work to fish
2,128 Posts
by the way. We had no problems catching all the crab we needed for an afternoon of fishing with just one hoop net and some chicken neck. In about an hour we had enough crab to goto town and even returned some crab to the surf we didn't use. NOW if I can only find the fish!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is there a size limit for blue crabs for bait? Does anyone use fiddler crabs for anything?
Blue crabs need to be 5" across the back. You can keep undersized crabs for bait, but they can make up no more than 5% of your total and must be kept in a separate container. You also need to throw back any that have eggs attached.

Fiddlers are great bait. You can keep all you want. They work great for sheepshead and redfish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blue crabs need to be 5" across the back. You can keep undersized crabs for bait, but they can make up no more than 5% of your total and must be kept in a separate container. You also need to throw back any that have eggs attached.

Fiddlers are great bait. You can keep all you want. They work great for sheepshead and redfish.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
496 Posts
by the way. We had no problems catching all the crab we needed for an afternoon of fishing with just one hoop net and some chicken neck. In about an hour we had enough crab to goto town and even returned some crab to the surf we didn't use. NOW if I can only find the fish!
Were you catching the crabs in the surf? Recently?

·
Work to fish
2,128 Posts
No just hitting some side spots and catch more than we can use for bait every time we go. Just not catching fish :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
It helps to keep the crabs alive a lot longer if they are not in direct contact with ice. I always throw a old tow sack down on ice, then crabs. some have lasted almost a week.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It helps to keep the crabs alive a lot longer if they are not in direct contact with ice. I always throw a old tow sack down on ice, then crabs. some have lasted almost a week.
Thanks for this tip on keeping crabs alive. I tried it and it worked great for several days. Unfortunately no action on the crab, but lots of whiting on fish bites/shrimp. Kids had a blast.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts