2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
mastercylinder said:
sharpen a chain saw? i'd rather read war and peace again.
I hear that. I just keep 3-4 chains for each saw and when several are dull I take them to the saw shop where a guy that know what he is doing can sharpen them correctly. With the chain off the saw they charge $6.00 to sharpen a chain. Might be more in a big city.

·
El jefe
2,607 Posts
war & peace boring

mastercylinder said:
sharpen a chain saw? i'd rather read war and peace again.
amen brother , i just keep about 3 sharp chains per saw and then take em in at 6$ per a chain , i will never sharpen a chainsaw again ! you can cute more trees than you want with 2 saws and 6 blades , 1. 16 inch & 1 20 inch

·
Stop Global Whining
494 Posts
I use a dremmel tool with a chain saw stone bit that is made for it, you can do one yourself in about 5 minutes and the stone will last. thanks boashna

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sharpened mine in 5 min .. it takes longer to get in the car and watch the blinking red lights on my street ..

·
Registered
67 Posts
It really is pretty easy to sharpen by hand once you get the hang of it and it does not take much time. Stihl sells a holder for the round file that allows the correct angle and depth and it's cheap. I think you can get the same tool for other chain saws at Home Depot or Lowes. Unfortunately fallen trees/branches frequently have a lot of dirt mixed in and that will dull a brand new chain in seconds. Stihl website on sharpening chain:

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/SharpAdvice110606.pdf

·
Registered
766 Posts
Good info Boashna. But why is the guy in the first video sharpening a chainsaw when he has honkers flying all around him!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts