2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents live out of town and they have a SERIOUS problem with buzzards. The buzzards are roosting in nearby trees, and then land on the house in the morning. When a buzzard lands on your house he is sure to leave you a "GIFT". Not to mention the "gift" the dang things are just nasty.

How can they get ride of them, or get them to leave the area?
Please try to keep your suggestions LEGAL.

Mom has talked to the local game warden already he said "if" they are harming your livestock you can kill them. If they are not hurting your livestock don't tell him if you kill one or five by accident.

I can't tell you how many have accidently been killed, but the dang things won't stay away.

WHAT SHOULD WE TRY?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Take a bunch of "guts" and throw them in a pasture down the road, maybe they'll move, or maybe they'll get full and leave you a bigger "gift".

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
Are they roosting on the peak of the house? If so maybe you could put some carpet tack strips or something that would bug them. I dunno if they're scared of owls, but if so maybe an owl decoy.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
They like to roost in dead trees, or something with very open open branches. Cut the roost tree down and they'll likely move.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
my wife has the same problem at the building she works in. the only thing that has worked for them is tack strip type things on the peaks and edges. it doesnt totally solve it, because some still come and land on the flat parts of the roof, but it really did cut down on the # of birds.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
A steady and consistant barrage of bird shot and they will leave.....My mother had the same problem and every time they came out she would open fire....now she lives in a rural area and could do this....she was not trying to kill them just scare them off....she had built this pond around a huge dead oak tree and loved the tree but the buzzards did too...so every time she saw them she fired a couple of rounds in their direction and eventually they got the hint....she said it took a week of this and a box or two of ammo and they left....at night or evening when they came to roost is when it is most effective..

TS

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
capn said:
They like to roost in dead trees, or something with very open open branches. Cut the roost tree down and they'll likely move.
The trees are on the neighbors property. I don't think he would like me cutting his trees down, BUT it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Maybe the carpet tack things will help. Anyone want to come over and put on the roof?

I will let Mom know about it, maybe she can hire someone to do for her.

The birds shot thing is only temperary. We have tried.

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
I read an article about the Black (mexican buzzards) that are becoming an extreme nuisance. In the article, a buzzard wrangler said, that hanging a dead buzzard or two at the roost was one of the quickest ways to move the buzzards along. This guy was hired by owners of the big radio towers to clear them off.

·
In the Surf
664 Posts
I've seen people build cages that work as a one way in, no way out type of deal. They hang some rotten meat inside and the vultures hop into the trap. The people I've seen do this had a serious problem though, up to the point where they said the vultures were killing new born calves as they hit the ground.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
txsnyper said:
The trees are on the neighbors property.
Talk to him about the problem, and try to isolate what tree it is they're roosting on. If the tree is dead, and it probably is, and not close to a building or anything like that, he might not mind you cutting it down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work in a chemical plant and we literally had hundreds of them roosting on our towers. The plant tried all kinds of crazy stuff to get rid of them, even had contractors on top of each tower to wave them off at sunset. Operators (from what I hear) would take a 2' valve wrench up at night and play "buzzard baseball" with the sleeping buzzards (not recommended). Eventually the plant payed TPWD to send out a guy with an ultra high powered air gun to harass the birds at dusk, after a few weeks of this, the birds finally moved on.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
At dusk, get two flat boards (2"x6"x36" or so) and slap them together when they try to roost. The noise will scare them and they'll fly off. When they try to come back... do it again - until they leave for good.

When they come back the next night... do it all over again. Do that every night until they find another place to roost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts