2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to preserve the fish prior to a skin mount? In addition who's the best taxidermist around houston?

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
I saw the fish you caught. Congratulations! That is a bummer that it was short, but you definitely can't be bummed! I weighed a fat 27 3/4 in 2001 and it was 7 lb 3 oz and a fat 27 7/8 in 2002 that was 7 lb 7 oz. I thought both of those fish were going to be right at 8 lb. Oh well, that's how it goes!

I had both of those fish skin mounted by Bobby Peterson of Alief Taxidermy. He does INCREDIBLE work in my opinion. I believe his phone # is 281-933-1709. If you get a chance, go by his shop or if you would like, you stop by and take a look at the two I have. Capt David will second my recommendation if you want another opinion.

When I went to preserve those fish, I vacuum packed them and put them in the garage freezer. I made sure that all the fins were against the body. I would try and bring it somewhere ASAP so it does not get messed up. Be VERY careful with a frozen fish because the tail could just break off. Someone may have a better way of preserving a fish or you could call Bobby and ask. I've attached a pic of one of my fish. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a friend (Bill Moos) that does all my taxidermy work here in College Station. He prefers fish be brought in as fresh as possible. If they can't be brought in right away he says to put them in a zip lock and freeze as soon as you can when you get off the water. But don't keep them frozen for long before getting them to the taxidermist. Once the fish is skinned they can preserve it so it can be stored longer. This came in handy for another buddy of mine because he caught a nice red but didn't have the money to mount it right away. Bill skinned it and preserved it for him only requiring a small deposit and then did the mount later when my buddy had the money.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Have to second Capt. Jack Inman. He did a great job on mine. I kind of felt out of place when I walked into his shop. My trout was 31", but was small compared to some of the others in his shop. Be prepared to pay $12-14 per inch.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Is there no interest in doing reproduction/fiberglass mounts?

I personally have never mounted a fish, but from what I've heard, this seems to be the best way to go.

Catch the fish, measure the length and the gerth, take a close up picture of both sides and set her free. Not to mention you don't have to worry about preserving the fish until you could get it to the taxidermist.

Just curious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are going to freeze it wrapping it in cloth first will help prevent freezer burn, and ice crystals damaging the skin and popping scales. Because it's a saltwater fish most taxidermists will probably recommend getting a replica made. Saltwater fish are very oily and it's difficult to removeall that grease from there skin and head, which in some cases leaches out over 5 or 10 years and eats away the paint. Since both skin and repro mounts have to be painted, a good taxidermist makes it hard to tell one from the other untill it's 5 years down the road and the skin mount has a shriveled face and cracked fins. Regardless of what type of mount you chose or where you go, my last recomendation is window shop don't price shop. It's not worth calling around for the cheapest prices only to wait a year to get a fish your not proud to hang on your wall. Go out and look at the work these places are doing and find some fish work that impresses you, even if it costs an extra hundred bucks, you'll be happier down the road.

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
Good as it gits

Check out these works of art. These are a couple of real fine redfish "skin" mounts. They were done by a guy named Gus Villarria from San Antonio. I can't find my contact for Gus but he is on this board from time to time. Gus if your here PM me so I can get that redfish paint schedual from you.

James Morrison
Superior Taxidermy
Hunstville, Texas

Attachments

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
I found Gus' contact. Look under membership list on 2cool and find Gus V. All of his contact info is there.

James

·
Registered
686 Posts
cannonjb123 said:
What is the best way to preserve the fish prior to a skin mount? In addition who's the best taxidermist around houston?
Take it straight to the taxidermist. If not wrap it in a wet towel , place it in a plastic bag and freeze.

Houston area taxidermist for skin mounts not sure.

·
Registered
940 Posts
my taxidermist says to wrap it in a towel as soon as you catch it. Banging around in an ice chest all day will damage the scales.

·
Registered
686 Posts
DCW said:
my taxidermist says to wrap it in a towel as soon as you catch it. Banging around in an ice chest all day will damage the scales.
Yes wrapping it in a towel as soon as possible helps.

Some leave it in the live well, some wrap them in shirts but, those that bring them in the ice chest are just fine. The ice is normally melted and it is ice and water so not much banging around.

·
88 Ag
6,223 Posts
I just happened to catch my late in the day and put it on ice. When I got home, I used my vacuum sealer and sealed the trout in it and put it in the freezer. Worked perfectly fine. The guy that did mine was David Turnage from Bellville but he will drive here to meet you. I was referred to him by Noo-Noo. He charges $10 per inch for the fish (skin or replica), the base was an extra $50 and the mullet were $35 each. The whole thing was $437 including tax. His contact number is 713-203-9868.

Good luck with whomever you choose.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I ended up wrapping it in a towel and freezing her. Dropped her off at Jack Innman's on friday and should get it back in two months. If my fish turns out like any of the 15+ trout I saw waiting to be picked up I will be very pleased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts