2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint measurement identification stripes on my rod and need suggestions to what type of paint. I've tried finger nail polish and spray paint but not happy with their ability to stick. Any suggestions?

Philip

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I use the "Texas Legal Catch" stickers that are sold at FTU

stickers come in a pack for about $3

1 for flounder, 2 for trout, 2 for reds in each pack

I use a drop of superglue or clear nail polish after putting them on to keep them from coming off.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
if it's not sticking you need to take some 400 grit sand paper to it. Glossy rods are not good at helping paint stick. I've done it on all my rods...next year get some fingernail polish remover when the sizes change and do it again.

·
Who Farted?
1,857 Posts
Nail polish works great, a hobby marker like in silver or gold, Ive even used electrical tape and pinstripe tape to mark some of my rods.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
the stuff they use for pin stripes on cars works very well. Stays on a rod forever. plenty of colors to chose from too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, I like the pin stripes because I will have plenty for all my rods, fishing rods that is!

Bug_Power said:
Glossy rods are not good at helping paint stick.
Yes this is an Ugly Stik (fishing rod) and does have a very glossy finish

·
Metal Man
971 Posts
Tlc

Pick-up a pack of "Texas Legal Catch" at academy. Have hade them on my rods for five years and have not come off.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I was having problems withthe Texas Legal Catch stickers staying on, so I tied the Rod Ruler and its worked out great.

·
<***********>< Fish on.
3,101 Posts
Alex3 said:
I was having problems withthe Texas Legal Catch stickers staying on, so I tied the Rod Ruler and its worked out great.
I use the Rod ruler as well and have never had any problems with peeling. In the past I just used black electrical tape.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Another plus of the Rod Ruler is you don't have to worry about movin it if the limits change.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have put the rod ruler on another pole, I like it but also like the ease of stripes.
Instead I went down and got some 1/8" white pin striping for $2.99 and placed a stripe at every 5 inch mark and one at the 14" mark. I also painted the one at the 20 with red polish. I will be taking her out tomorrow, so will give report to how well the pin striping held up. Any how think I also have a life time supply with this role.
Philip

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,824 Posts
I could never get those pos rod rulers to work well, and NOT SANDING MY GOOD RODS, forget it! The thread is a good idea, and if you use the smal markers, use a dab or superglue on the spot it ends. OR, do like I do, and get a silver sharpie and mark them that way works well, and might reapply once a year MAYBE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts