2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a rod blank for sale but I don't know who made it or anything about it. I went and looked at it and he wants 10.00 for it. I do not know him only know someone who knows him. I'm thinking this would be a good first blank for the price but then I'm afraid of building something I like and want to use only to have it break on me while fishing. (worse, be fishing with my friends and have my "rod I built" break, I could not live that down, the joking would never stop) LOL
I bent the rod and did not see any spider web cracks or anything that would cause me to just want to put it down. He does not know anything about it, he got it from his father after he passed away. He had some rods his father had made and they were all very nice and not for sale just this blank. His brother has all the equipment for making rods and has started making them himself, so that makes me wonder why he would have left this blank.

I guess my point is just how do you tell if a blank is a $100.00 blank or a $4.99 blank? It looks to be a graphite blank and has to be at least 5 years old. The action seems to be medium heavy because it is a little stiff yet light in weight. It is around 6' long maybe a little longer. Both ends seem OK no cuts or breaks.

·
Premium Member
40,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm thinking

the price is nice and makes it hard to pass up. It just made me think when I buy a quality blank (down the road), just how do I tell if I got what I pay for? Do the blanks you order have any markings on them? I have never had a custom built rod and have always trusted the name brands when I bought a rod. I have really started questioning every aspect of rods now that the bug has me. Please have paticient with me as this will be only one of a thousand questions that come along.:D

·
Premium Member
40,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to get it.

I looked it over hard and found nothing on it at all. I was thinking it might have got removed during the sanding process, the end where the handle will be placed is a matte finish and the rest of the rod has a shine to it. I'm thinking it was in the early stages of becoming a useable rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.