2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a rod blank for sale but I don't know who made it or anything about it. I went and looked at it and he wants 10.00 for it. I do not know him only know someone who knows him. I'm thinking this would be a good first blank for the price but then I'm afraid of building something I like and want to use only to have it break on me while fishing. (worse, be fishing with my friends and have my "rod I built" break, I could not live that down, the joking would never stop) LOL
I bent the rod and did not see any spider web cracks or anything that would cause me to just want to put it down. He does not know anything about it, he got it from his father after he passed away. He had some rods his father had made and they were all very nice and not for sale just this blank. His brother has all the equipment for making rods and has started making them himself, so that makes me wonder why he would have left this blank.

I guess my point is just how do you tell if a blank is a $100.00 blank or a $4.99 blank? It looks to be a graphite blank and has to be at least 5 years old. The action seems to be medium heavy because it is a little stiff yet light in weight. It is around 6' long maybe a little longer. Both ends seem OK no cuts or breaks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What would it hurt to spend the 10 bucks for it and try, especially if its the first one you build? If there isnt any visible cracks ,cuts scrapes on the blank the only other thing you would have to worry about is compound stress fractures (crushed modulus) from being bent over to hard, and that is something you really cant see and pretty unlikely with a unused blank. IMOH it would be better than spending in upwards of 50.00$ or more on a blank and find out you screwed up or dont like building.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking

the price is nice and makes it hard to pass up. It just made me think when I buy a quality blank (down the road), just how do I tell if I got what I pay for? Do the blanks you order have any markings on them? I have never had a custom built rod and have always trusted the name brands when I bought a rod. I have really started questioning every aspect of rods now that the bug has me. Please have paticient with me as this will be only one of a thousand questions that come along.:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Telling you got what you payed for is a tough one to answer. Some might tell you you can get just as good a blank from one of the lesser expensive manufactures as you can from Loomis, Sage or St.Croix. I all really depends what you want out of the rod and how much your willing to spend. Do a little research on blank production,modulus types and ratings it will help you out some. OHH and yes the manufactures use lables and/or lettering on there blanks for identifacation purposes like length, power, action and weight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Heck man for 10 bucks I can't see where you could go wrong. There should be some markings somewhere on the rod. If you can post some pics and maybe someone here can help that way.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I would get it... sounds good. although it might be the rejected graphite the bigger companys wouldnt use for their blanks.... JJ

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to get it.

I looked it over hard and found nothing on it at all. I was thinking it might have got removed during the sanding process, the end where the handle will be placed is a matte finish and the rest of the rod has a shine to it. I'm thinking it was in the early stages of becoming a useable rod.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
A number of rod mfg. don't completely finish the blank where it will be covered up with a grip,usually lesser quality blanks but it is just cosmetic.
The best way to insure you are getting what you pay for is buying from a reputable dealer.
$10.00 is cheap for a blank to practice on.I am glad I didn't pay much for the blanks for my first attempts. Give it a try all you can lose is 10 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts