2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the best way to get what LOOKS like a hard water film off of gelcoat & the outboard motor without damaging the finish??

The boat was clean before but it has been in the water ALOT over the last few weeks....

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would give Barkeepers Friend a try to remove the line and the existing wax. I use a soft brush on an extension handle to keep the stuff off my skin, but you just brush it on, wait a minute and rinse it off.

Then use an all synthetic wax to keep it from yellowing again. Aurora Boat Shine is a good one that I've had a lot of success with.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... Yeah I have that too. What I was also concerned about was a chalky film on the rest of the boat & motor from spray... Would barkeepers friend be to strong for the paint on the cowling??

Thanks...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dark 30,
Mix some vinegar and water 50/50 and spray on with a spray bottle then wipe off with a soft cloth. Works like a charm. I use it all the time on my boat and motor.

Hope this helps,
Noel

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
There's a product for cleaning bathrooms called "LimeAway" that works great. Spray it on, wait 3-5 minutes, and rinse it off. No scrubbing needed. It will leave white marks on a galvanized trailer, so wet the trailer down first in that area before spraying the product, then rinse it well afterwards to prevent the oxidation marks on the galvanizing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dark 30,

You might want to try "ON/OFF" you can buy it Boaters World, this stuff really works but be very careful as stated in the directions. Will get rid of the build-up that collects between cowl and lower unit as well as the yellowish stains around the waterline of the hull.... Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts