2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
plan to buy a pre-made 22" x 49" solid surface finished vanity counter top from homedepot but i only need 43 1/2" long piece. this is cheapest route vs getting custom. would this be easy to cut myself? i understand a diamond edge blade for circular saw would be approx. $50. is it absoutely necessary to use water while cutting?

the cut end would not need to be finished as it rest hidden against a wall and a side splash would hide small imperfections in the cut not being 100% straight or flush with the wall.

any advise if this is a DIY job or not?

RH

·
I smell varmint puntang.
1,284 Posts
That diamond blade is probably for a wetsaw, I would never recommend using it on a circular saw (I assume you mean Skilsaw or maybe tablesaw) because a cut like that WILL require a steady stream of water at the point of contact to cool the blade and clear the debris. Definitely a pro job, not DIY.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
When we had granite countertops installed, they did the cutouts for the range and sink on-site. They used some sort of a dry diamond blade on an angle grinder for the cuts, with no water. It makes a lot of dust and you can't get in too big of a hurry but, it can be done. I would also not recommend using a circular saw, I think an angle grinder is better suited to the task.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
They have a blade for a grinder that will cut it. I doesn't hurt to run a small stream of water on it while your cutting.

·
Out to Lunch
4,362 Posts
plan to buy a pre-made 22" x 49" solid surface finished vanity counter top from homedepot but i only need 43 1/2" long piece. this is cheapest route vs getting custom. would this be easy to cut myself? i understand a diamond edge blade for circular saw would be approx. $50. is it absoutely necessary to use water while cutting?

the cut end would not need to be finished as it rest hidden against a wall and a side splash would hide small imperfections in the cut not being 100% straight or flush with the wall.

any advise if this is a DIY job or not?

RH
You mention solid surface and then Granite. They are totally different products. If it's solid surface I'd be happy to cut it for you. If it's granite it can be cut with a hand held 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade and water. I wouldn't suggest this method unless you know what your doing and don't mind buying another top when you screw up. Ted

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can buy at Home Depot a wet diamond saw with the water attachment for about $59.00. It is a 4 or 5 in model. I used it to cut 1 in thick top with no problems. You can buy a dry blade for a skill type saw (about $20) and have someone wet it with a small stream of water to keep the dust down. The stone must be supported during the cutting or it will brake off at the end of the cut due to the weight of the pieces. You can cut a short distance from each end and finish the cut with less risk of breaking out. Cover the area with the blue painters tape to keep from scratching the surface with the saw.

·
Registered
221 Posts
actually "Solid Surface"

Thanks for are the replies, there sure was a broad range of advise.....

not a DIY project
must have angle grinder with water
don't use skilsaw
cut dry
use skilsaw

i pulled from the internet a definition of "Solid Surface" which is what I have in mind, not Granite. my mistake for not being 100% clear on that in the first place.

"Solid Surface is granite imitation. Solid Surface has the same color and pattern as a real granite, and even more. It's not as strong as granite, and the cost relatively high, but the beauty worth it. Plus, it's solid, means no pore, which means no food shiver entering and make an ugly stain. Unlike granite, it can be bend."

I believe I will research internet more and check back for any more replies. Thanks for taking time to reply.

RH

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
You can cut it dry with the diamond blade on a skil saw, i use to score concrete all the time like this, the water is to keep the dust down mostly (cool the blade too, but not enough difference for your application on a short cut, which there will be a LOT of dust, it will cut that counter top no problem, make sure you have a steady hand, post pics of how it turns out and how you cut it, everyone has their own advice it seems.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
When I had granite put in my house, they cut the sink holes, faucet holes etc in my driveway. These guys were pro's and it took them a solid chunk of time just to do my kitchen.
Like mentioned, the dust and granite fragments/dust were EVERYWHERE. They were using a diamond blade on a skil saw. I have a guy that does it at cost plus 3%. He's hungry and cheap gets business...and no, he doesnt do a botchy job, hes dang good. Not a DIY if a newbee to the project, hire someone and save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
When I had granite put in my house, they cut the sink holes, faucet holes etc in my driveway. These guys were pro's and it took them a solid chunk of time just to do my kitchen.
Like mentioned, the dust and granite fragments/dust were EVERYWHERE. They were using a diamond blade on a skil saw. I have a guy that does it at cost plus 3%. He's hungry and cheap gets business...and no, he doesnt do a botchy job, hes dang good. Not a DIY if a newbee to the project, hire someone and save yourself the hassle.
There's a winner right there, not sure how much you're spending, but 3% above cost is hard to beat, you'll spend more than that buying the blades for the skil saw, not to mention the aggrivation, clean up, and potential to screw up...

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
The problem with cutting the end off will be that there is a small lip on the edge to retain the water on the counter top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts