2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you might remember a thread where I mentioned how our church honored one of our members. Glenn was a marine in WWII, received his purple heart from injuries in Okinawa. He was a marine at heart until he passed. I was able to secure 11 marines to assisst in this veterans memorial and burial. They did a fine job in honoring a brother-in-arms who fought years before any of them were even born.

The colors were first presented to Glenn's daughter, and then to his great grandson who is his named after him.

On behalf of a grateful nation....

Tropicalsun

Attachments

·
The Republic of Texas
4,607 Posts
Speechless!!! Thanks for the post. I remember that thread....wtg!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Right on! Thoese are still kinda hard for me to look at, as I just went through that with my Father a year ago July. One of the truly more beautiful, yet bitter moments in life.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
texacajun said:
Speechless!!! Thanks for the post. I remember that thread....wtg!!!!

Mike
Thank You....What Iron Mike said....I heard echo taps as I read it.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Yes....

You're right, they should be honored, but I must respectfully disagree a little.. You see ALL vets should be honored to the highest..

They should be honored like this...

(This is of a friend of mine, Lt. Sarah Small who died late last year while on a deployment. Secretary of the Air Force, Michale Wynne, is presenting the flag to the family on behalf of a grateful nation - I miss her dearly...)

God Bless all veterans and let us not forget...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Beautiful!! I just went to a good friend of mines military funeral last week..It was my first military funeral and I was very impressed.. It was beautiful

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reelwork - I absolutely agree with you! your pictures brought back some very strong emotions for me. I served on one honor guard burial detail as an active duty marine. The service was for the marine that was killed while standing duty at our embassy in Beruit. I was in Embassy Guard school at the time. The service was held at Ft. Meyers. The Marine Corps Commondant walked up the center aisle, kneeled at the coffin a prayed. It was powerful. From there we went to Arlington for the burial. When the bag piper came playing towards the grave it was more than we could take. There was a battallion of marines, including me, at attention, in dress blues...sniveling like babies!

Trouthunter - His name was Glenn Miller Patton. The burial was about two weeks ago at Memorial Oaks. I am the grey bearded pastor in the background. Let me share a cool testimony. Glenn died on a Tuesday morning while his daughter was going through surgery. I had to take a friend to MD Anderson on Thursday and was able to sneak over to Texas Ortho to meet with the recovering daughter to discuss arrangements for Glenn. The family wanted a Marine Corps burial. The only active duty marine I know was the recruiter at the Baybrook mall that did so much for Glenn last year for our ring presentation. He has gone to Iraq. I had no idea what to do. So, on the way back to MD Anderson I prayed. I took my friend to lunch at Rutchies on 610 and Main. While eating a marine in cammo walks in and sits down to eat. Typically, I buy the lunch for marines I see like that. Sent the waitress over to get the marines bill. She didn't speak english and it was obvious that she wasn't communicating well. I walked over and introduced myself to the marine. As I went back to my table with his bill it dawned on me that this was a SgtMaj. Not many of them. I went back to him and asked if he was stationed here or on leave. Turns out he was with the I&I Marines on the Old Spanish Trail. Part of thier job is...burial details. I told him about Glenn and that the funeral was in five days. He picked up his phone, made a call, gave me two numbers and said if I needed any more help just let him know. That meeting was no co-incidence! Quick end...the ring that the Ssgt recruiter helped us present..well, the Glenn's family is sending it to him in Iraq. It seemed the right thing to do.

God bless,
Tropicalsun

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Thanks for the awesome pics and stories. Lest we never forget, those that we give full military honors gave all. Maybe it was WWII, Korea, RVN, Iraq or some lesser known war or battlefield. But it never ceases to fill my chest with pride or my eye with a tear.

God bless our troops, veterans and fallen heros.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
That is so cool.

I travel quite a bit and see many of our men and women in uniform. This Tues. I was flying to OKC and had an army private (in fatigues) in the row in front of me. On my way out of the plane I asked him if he was coming home or on his way. It happened he was on his way to Iraq. I told him how much we all appreciate his and his brothers and sisters sacrifices for our way of life. He looked at me like I was crazy......doesn't everyone that meets these men and women give them our debt of gratitude?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Well we should.

Thank you to all of our military professionals that risk life and limb for me to live in the greatest country in the world.

Mont...is there any way we can create a military board and somehow link it to something that the soldiers could read? I know sending letters and food/candy/supplies is a huge moral booster, but if we could react in relative real-time about the events of the day concerning our military. that would be beautiful. I just get so incredibly mad at how the media portrays our soldiers presence over there, there should be something we could do as citizens of this beautiful country to let those American heros how 90% of the American people REALLY feel.

If movie stars can go over there on tours, surely there should be something we can do.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Tropicalsun, I admit it... I welled up as I read your thread, again as posted a reply. There is definitely a soft spot where I am like a baby, it is with vets who have fallen or are dying, whether it be from old age or what have you..

Maybe because I am somewhat close to it all - being active duty. I work with many parents of Airmen, Soldiers, Marines and Sailors.. My most cherished experience and blessing is working with the mother of LCPL Darrell Schumann. He was killed in the big helicopter crash 26 Jan 2005. I never met him, but his mom is a retired Chief MSgt, works in my unit now as a contractor and we haveliterally spent hours talking - about him, about her, about life. I think it helps her heal too - she is very open when you ask, but you have to ask. When you do ask, she lights up like a mom who is so proud of her son and honors him in every way possible.

She served 30 years in the USAF and her husband 29.. Remarkable woman and listening to her proudly beam about her son is beyond words..

A Cindy Sheehan she most certainly is not...

If you care to read more, please go the Arlington website here (Yes, that is Mary, in uniform, just before she retired):

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/djschunann.htm

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
PHINS said:
Mont...is there any way we can create a military board and somehow link it to something that the soldiers could read?
There is a board to support our troups ... if you weren't aware.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Anyone active on military related boards could easily post up a link. It would be cool to have some interactive communications going with our guys and gals in uniform.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts