2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the buck I killed on Christmas eve 2003 in Live Oak County. Field dressed at 117. Nine points, spread of 14.5 inches. Most of the bucks I've seen on the lease have a similar spread--nothing wider.

I boiled the jaw and head for a Euro mount, although I need to spend more time boiling and cleaning up the head.

I'm counting on the experts here to throw in their two cents on an age estimation. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Age?

I'm no expert, but just going by the pics of the deer first, big-healthy deer, no roman nose and I don't see alot of graying on the head. The teeth have moderate wear, but not extreme wear. I will say with a good amount of certainty a 3.5 year old deer. No older than 3.5, and a fat-healthy 3.5 at that. Congrats. I bet he ate good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That Deer Nose Has A Slight Roman Nose Going On There, I Cant Tell By The Jaw Bone From The Picture But It Does Have Some Wear On It. Im Guessing 4.5 Years Old But Im No Expert By No Means.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would guess 3.5. If there is a ton of small rock there especially around your feeder then he might be a solid early born 2.5 but my best guess is 3.5

·
Equine connoisseur
2,264 Posts
Sean, when I saw the first pic with the real worn tooth (left side), I thought he was at least 5.5-6.5. When you look at the right side, he doesn't appear to be that old. Hard to tell from the meat hauling picture. LMAO I would say he was at least 3.5 and probably 4.5.

Pablo

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
My opinion would be 3.5. The first molar on the left is damaged/rotted not worn. Not much wear on the other teeth. Although, if that damaged tooth was painful to him, he might not have put as much pressure on the other teeth. Thus, little wear.

Who knows. It ain't an exact science.

Just my 2 cents.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
I agree more with Pablo...I think he is a 4.5. Seems like more deer than not have inconsistant wear patterns on each side of the jaw...I have gone with the side that shows the greatest wear for aging....of course there should be no question if he is mature or not before you pull the trigger. If he has the body appearance of a mature buck what more can you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts