2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a bud today that said he changed his mono line about once a month or sooner because he said it did not handle as well after the first week or so. How long do you keep your mono line on your reels before you change it out, and why?

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I only get to the coast ~ 6-8 wks, but I use fresh mono for every trip. It's the least expensive thing to replace, and I don't like it coming off in coils.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Very often, once a month. It cuts down the frustration factor-bird's nesting reels just makes me cuss!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I change my mono line every trip.. But I'm just anal like that... Mono line get brittle after a good day on the bay wading and it forms a memory once that happens witch is usually at the end of the day I stripe it off and tie on new.. I think it is part of my compulsive disorder. Thats what my wife says anyway... He! He! He! :headknock

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,213 Posts
They still make mono line? I thought it went by the wayside when braid came out.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
every 2nd trip or so...cheapest part of the trip that has the biggest difference on outcome. My number of trips back to boat due to terminal backlash? 0. My buddies..ummm maybe once every couple trips. Number of backlashes overall? way way way lower than my buddies that fish braid or super mono...more casting time = more fish.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
oh yeah...I may lose 1-2 fish a year on average to breakoff, and I fish a whole lot. I see other people do it much more frequently...not to mention cast-offs LOL

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
depends how much u fish and if ur fishing the reef...the line will get brittle and break afterward..i change when i think i should..i fished with one line for a year lol and never broke but it was bad though..it was time to change it.every 4-6 trips maybe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts