2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were headed to SLP tomorrow to try and catch some sandbars or maybe some bulls or blacktips if they have made it up here yet, how often do yall have the hook set where yall have to cut the hook with boltcutters as opposed to pulling the hook out?

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
If I cant get the hook out (99%) of the time. I just cut it as close as possible with wire cutters. The hook will rust out quickly. It is also expremely hard to get a hook out of a sharks mouth. It will not impede his eating process.

·
Pike
4,489 Posts
I agree with F S.

The thing you should do in advance, is check, and know, that your wire cutters are good enough to cut the size cable you are using for a leader. Most are not. None of mine were. I found a pair of wire cable cutters at a farm store and bought them for making and cutting leaders. They cut with no frayed ends. They are closer to the size of big pliers than a bolt cutter. Easy to handle. They easily cut braided (7 or 49 strand) leader up to 500 # test.

The only thing that I don't like about them in the boat is they are made of a high carbon steel. You have to keep them salt frree and oiled after every trip or they will rust right before your eyes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts