2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how much touble I would get into if I were to get busted by TPWD in an unregistered boat.

I ended up with an old boat (long story) that has not been in the water for about ten years. It came from a state where boats and motors were not titled. I am waiting to go through the hassle of getting it registered until I know that the engine will run without spending tons of money on it.

I am working on the engine myself. If I do get it to run, and I can get the boat seaworthy, I am wanting to sneak it out on the 4th of July.

If I get caught, what will they do to me? I just moved to Texas a couple of years ago, and I don't know what the penalties would be. Fines? Jail? Flogging? Kissing Rosie O'Donnell? I wouldn't mind a fine, but the other three...no thanks!

Thanks for any info

bald_and_grumpy

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
if you want to sneak it, the 4th of July is not the opportune time, as there will be lots of black and whites out on the water etc. I would wait for a different time. I ran into the same problem last year with my jet ski. Needed to run it, but the tags had expired. I took it out for a test drive anyways.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
If it was me - I would get all the paperwork together (and not submit it till the work is done) before I put the time and money into repairing a bote.

if you can't ever get it titled & registered, why go through all the trouble to begin with?

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
B&G the TPWD does not have much of a sense of humor about these things.
Specialy if it has ever been turned in as stolen. you might have ALLOT of explaining to do.

Dave

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
If it was me - I would get all the paperwork together (and not submit it till the work is done) before I put the time and money into repairing a bote.

if you can't ever get it titled & registered, why go through all the trouble to begin with?
good advice! last year, a buddy of mine was given a nice heavy-duty alweld boat by his employer, but it and the trailer needed some work. we spent quite a few hours fabricating and welding turning it into a floundering rig, then he got laid off. to this day, we still don't have clear title to the boat. bummer!

get your paperwork and your signatures in ink, first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just give T.P.W.D. A call and tell them what is going on with your boat and the will be more than happy to assist you.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
TopPop said:
Anyone figure this one out yet? Went over my head. :)
he said "he has seen and run into the GW=Game warden in Halls Bayou and Diversion canal"....

John

·
Sea Fox 240XT~225 Yamaha 4-Stroke
2,213 Posts
Check into this

TPWD Boat Information hotline 1-800-262-8755Give them a call, or look online, there is a lot of great information about the whole title and registration process.

Also, if you have all of the paperwork filled out and have a reciept or a copy of the check that you sent in, you should be OK if they pull you over, you dont necessarily have to have the TX numbers and sticker on if you just got your boat going, only proof that you are in the process of getting them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts