2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have e question about how much braid I can spool on my Core 100mg. I just switched from 12lb mono. With mono I would spool it almost to the top as I like alot of line and it seems to cast better for me. My question is can I spool the reel to the top with braid? I do not want to have problems when I get on the water. I have done a search and found some people talking about yardages but I buy line in bulk and have no way of knowing how much I have spooled. I have always just eye balled it. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i wouldnt put on as much braid. it casts further anyway, and you need to be more aware of loose line on your retrieve to avoid loops. also, dont forget to first put some mono on your reeland then tie it to the braid to avoid slips when retrieving. love the braid, just takes a little getting used to!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not concerned with having to put backing or trying to save some money by using less braid. I did not know if I filled the spool up if I would have problems with the spool out running the braid coming off and backlashing. I was trying the braid out for the first time and everything was going good. Then I tried to cast extremely hard to see how far I could really get it out there and my reel snapped the line back causing it to break. It sucked watching a new fatboy launch a mile and splash. I was wondering if this was because I spooled it to the top as I always have. Looking at the responses it seems that it was due to me casting to hard, rather than spooling to much line.

·
cluck, cluck
274 Posts
rosska,

First time I used braid I didn't like it. I was "heaving" my casts and was not getting much distance. I also was birdnesting quite a bit, so I respooled with mono. I later talked to several guys at a tackle shop in Rockport and learned that I was probably casting too hard. I spooled up with some more braid, casted like a sissy :eek: and my TTF minnow went farther than ever, so yes dial back on that cast and you should see good results.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
There are two things that I have found.

Start off with a couple of extra brakes out till you get the feel then keep putting them closed till you are happy.

Set the bait line tension adjustment with each bait change.

Either of the above will cause a problem.

If you ever bump another rod or such casting then you will get to see a professional ove run like you have never seen. (Ask me I know. ;))

Smoother throws work for me better than trying to whip and kill it throw.

·
cluck, cluck
274 Posts
There are two things that I have found.

Start off with a couple of extra brakes out till you get the feel then keep putting them closed till you are happy.

Set the bait line tension adjustment with each bait change.

Either of the above will cause a problem.

If you ever bump another rod or such casting then you will get to see a professional ove run like you have never seen. (Ask me I know. ;))

Smoother throws work for me better than trying to whip and kill it throw.
x2 on the brakes and bait line (spool) tension.....

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,828 Posts
Suffix

Fill it too the top, use mono backing, use a flouro carbon leader, .... actually just let her rip, I cast just as hard with it now as I did with mono...learn to thumb your spool just a little and turn it over sideways when you cast.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Instead of backingwith mono I make one wrap of electrition tape on the spool and then tie on the braid. The electrician tape keeps the braid from slipping and also helps keep moisture out of the spool if it has holes in it. Also the longer the braid is on the reel the better it seems to cast. New Power Pro seems to have a wax feel until you have used it for a couple of months.

·
The POC Experience
2,553 Posts
I only spool with about enough mono to cast with- a little longer, about 75 yards I think, the reason is that with a casting reel as you reel in line while fishing it will not always be tight, which allows the line to dig in when you cast causing a mess and short cast. you need to use some backing or the tape b/c if the braid does not grip the spool the entire line will slip on the spool and you wont be able to reel in. and that sucks, and it happened after the line had been on for a trip or two. the other advice I have heard is to use the heavier line like 50 lb test because it is like 10 lb test, the larger diameter keeps the line from digging into itself. As far as measuring it I put on my backing till full the pull the amout i want in braid and discard, I measure with either my brothers arm lengths or once I used a line depth counter that attaches to the rod/line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts