2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come this January 12th will be a year for me. I have 4 recruters looking for me but no luck in the houston area. Whats even more sad is guy like my dad had his retirment hit and worried he might get laid off, even worse our returning soldiers are struggling also. I heard DOW will be laying off 200+ here real soon, anyone else heard this? I know things will come around but didn't know it would take this long, never been with out work for more than a day in the last 22 years. Good news,, I do get to fish alot, and spend lots of time with the kids.

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
I think he is a master electrician, look under his name :) Sorry to hear this, I hope you find work asap.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Come this January 12th will be a year for me. I have 4 recruters looking for me but no luck in the houston area. Whats even more sad is guy like my dad had his retirment hit and worried he might get laid off, even worse our returning soldiers are struggling also. I heard DOW will be laying off 200+ here real soon, anyone else heard this? I know things will come around but didn't know it would take this long, never been with out work for more than a day in the last 22 years. Good news,, I do get to fish alot, and spend lots of time with the kids.
post up with more info about what line of work you're suited for and maybe somebody will come up with a couple of leads.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Im unemployed, the plant i worked at shut its doors which turned out to be a good thing for me cause I got the opportunity to go to school. But it is sad that 800 ofter peole lost there job due to foreign trade

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
There was a help wanted sign in the window at Food Town in Pearland this morning...might not be what you want...it might help for now...this is the first help wanted I can remember seeing in a long time...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I will be out of work sometime in the next 1-12 months. It's a definite that it will happen, but the timing is up in the air. At least I have a heads-up.

No way I can leave, as they tie all my unvested benefits (bonuses in stock, plus my 401K match) to my staying until they say "youroutahere".

I'm a geophysicist/geologist specializing in the Gulf of Mexico, 28yrs. of experience, but not ready or able to retire (two teenage boys to put through college). The big hope is that O&G will improve. A geologist friend here was laid off back in June and so far, he's not gotten a single interview.

Count me in the "I'll do anything if I have to" group, but "anything" might be hard for an over-50 white collar geoscientist. Plus, I truly love this line of work, just not the idiot business models. I've worked without pause since the 10th grade..full time all through high school and the first two years of college. Part-time the rest, then into the grocery business for a few months until I got a break into the oilfield. I've made it through dozens of lay-offs, but this one will spare no none. I am not looking forward to it and I will not just "hang out" in my bathrobe all day.

Walmart? Yeh, like everyone else, if it came to it. It's not like I would make a good apprentice plumber (but I'd try if they'd hire me.)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have to say that I am fortunate thus far.

One thing I don't understand is that with oil still around $70+ you would think the oil companies are going broke the way they lay out their forecasts and during the earnings releases. Granted it ain't $12B per quarter like it was but it certainly ain't breaking even either.

It is a weird economy to say the least.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have to say that I am fortunate thus far.

One thing I don't understand is that with oil still around $70+ you would think the oil companies are going broke the way they lay out their forecasts and during the earnings releases. Granted it ain't $12B per quarter like it was but it certainly ain't breaking even either.

It is a weird economy to say the least.
It's not the cost of the barrel, it's the crack spread. Most refineries are showing spreads between $2.95 - $3.85 / barrel, but their "break even" is more like $7.00/bbl. In other words, they loose $3.00 - $4.00 for every barrel they refine. This causes them to refine the very minimum number of barrels needed to keep their unit(s) up and running or even shut them down completely.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've been out of work for over a year. I spent 34yrs. if the oilfield service industry and there's not much happening with it. I spent the last 10yrs or so traveling and when the bottom fell out a year or so ago the older, higher paid employees were some of the first to go. There's still some drilling going on around the country but hiring is most locally and if you want a job they want you to move and I'm not about to do that. At my age with the kids grown and gone and the grandkids around the corner I'm happy, now the wifes another thing but she's not about to move either, so I just deal with it......

·
Registered
917 Posts
I could be soon, my company has lost over $119 million this year and we have already had one cut this year. Next could be me as I have high residual commissions that could help their bottom line.....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I retired a few years ago with Teachers Retirement, but my Wife hasn't worked in over a year. She is a Financial Consultant and wouldn't even recommend anyone try to move money. Now she's going back to College and working toward her LVN, I know, totally different area. :mpd:

I'm running our Convince Store and unfortunately haven't had much time to fish or hunt.sad3sm

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've been out of work since Aug.3. On the same day, my boss was told to resign or move to outside sales (my old position). His sales are no better than mine (or worse). As of yesterday, the factory came in and took over the company (a privately owned branch) with the owner out in the cold. I've had 1 interview (unless you count Primerica--I don't).
Good luck to all.

·
fish control my brain
7,712 Posts
If anyone knows of any land man postitions please shoot me an email ...

Thanks

BT

1 - 20 of 42 Posts