2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here has recovered their lost pets as a result of having them micro chipped? I had the vet put one on our lab this Saturday during his annual checkup. Just a little extra piece of mind for the wife and me.

BTW: I Typed My Thread Title In Honor Of Kenny! :eek: LOL!

·
Old yellow member
2,275 Posts
All mine are done, luckily we have never had to test them however.

Make sure they check (scan) it every year, sometimes it can move off the shoulders and fall down the leg. We had that happen in a puppy once so we get it rescanned every year.

FN

·
TopWater Tango
895 Posts
Fishnut said:
All mine are done, luckily we have never had to test them however.

Make sure they check (scan) it every year, sometimes it can move off the shoulders and fall down the leg. We had that happen in a puppy once so we get it rescanned every year.

FN
Had my duck dog done as well. Never heard the moving down the leg thing........I'll have it scanned this fall. Thanks

·
Kayak Fisher
7,566 Posts
Our new dachshund Molly was a rescue from the animal shelter, and we had them put in the microchip.

I guess the chip will work only if whoever finds the pet turns it in, but not if they take it home and keep it. That's life and there are risks, we just take whatever precautions we can.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a Blue & Gold Macaw Parrot and had her Micro chipped about 7 yrs ago, and Thank goodness I have never lost her, but when I take her to the vet and they scan her, it is still there and working...as you said..."Peace of Mind"

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
We have all of ours chipped. If nothing else, it will help to prove ownership if someone walks off with one of them, although I can't imagine anyone walking off with one of mine!

All the rescue dogs were chipped as well, unless we were just holding them for a week to be transported. If someone dumps one at a shelter hopefully it will get scanned and reported to the rescue.

Be sure you have a tag with your current phone number even if you do not chip. I have been called by the registry from people calling in a rescue dog. They got me though the registry phone number on the tag you get with the microchip.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
No

But I'm gunna put my foot in her butt if she doesn't quit diggin.
J/K at 12 years old you'd think she'd slow down a little.

·
See ya on the flats!
1,840 Posts
I definitely had Sadie done. I'll get the vet to check the chip next time we go in. Luckily we haven't had to depend on it to find her either.

Late,
Cox

·
Registered
857 Posts
Milo got a chip during his last trip to the vet. Thanks for the info about it moving down the leg, will be sure to have it checked out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All of mine are chipped. There are different types out there and it is reported that a couple are not universal to all of the chip readers. i do not know the details, but we used Home xxxxxxx (I can't remember exactly) but have not had to test it out. If you are concerned, I know some people who have the dogs AKC registration number tattooed on their bely behing the back leg (groin area).

David

·
TxDuSlayer
4,770 Posts
I had my lab done, its also another way to prove your ownership on the spot at a vet's office! If she some how ever wound up at a shelter hopefully they will scan her. A quick note not all shelters/city pounds scan for the chip!!! Call the pound in your area to see if they check for the chip.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Getting Ginger done next week but they refused to do Barbara.

·
Registered
95 Posts
chips

Chips are fine for the dog but you have to remember if someone steals the animal then takes to the vet the vet has to check if they think the animal belongs to the criminal they never check lost female dashund year and half ago that had chip

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Just a joke but my mutt, rat terrier and pug have been doritoed ,fritoed,layed, and ruffled. Good ides but there has to be an attempt to return them. all of them have tags on their collar from vet. as well as who loves them with phone #'s

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
-JAW- said:
Maybe she should have you done! :an2:

:rybka:
Wouldn't do any good too old to run off.:smile:

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Chips are a waist of $50 bucks..Honestly..
If someone finds your pet..they call the vet with the Rabies tag # or if youve got a name plate..you get the call..
The Pound doesnt check for chips.... & there the 1s that usually get the dog..& not to bash a Harris county facillity..But the lazy folks there,Dont really care to check..3 days & they gas the dog..period..
I dont mean to sound coldhearted,But..from experiance..& being married to a Vet..I hear it everyday..We carry chips,But how many vets check for them..I know the dog pound doesnt.

Oxx..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts