2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a video on release weights for barotrauma, I built a release weight to use on snapper going back in. With my own experience of having Flipper pick off 99 % of our discards one trip I noticed Flipper never bothered the fish while hooked on the way up. Could it be they avoid them while tackle is visible? If so, maybe the release weights will keep Flipper away as we send them back down.I only used the release wt. on one trip and didn't have Flipper around, then season closed. Have any of you had them picked off by Flipper as you were bringing the fish up?If you've tried the weight what was your result? I did not see any fish resurface after releasing them back at bottom.-Mike

·
The fish are calling me...
364 Posts
I have had a dolphin bite a red snapper while still hooked to my line. i simply gave a sharrp tug and the snapper came out with half of it already scaled. dolphin are not tackle shy.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Mike, I have done it and it appears to help some. I think it's probably like all the other stuff we do, it helps a little but isn't a panacea. First caught fish and folks standing by that concept without culling is the only real solution but as we know neither of those things are likely to happen, unfortunately.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
oh great......... new 'release regulations' and 'NMFS Certified' weight scales're now gonna be required

y'all keep brainstormin' out loud and some beaurocrat's gonna suggest it and the next thing you know you're gonna be saddled with even more ridiculous restrictions

·
Banned
198 Posts
oh great......... new 'release regulations' and 'NMFS Certified' weight scales're now gonna be required

y'all keep brainstormin' out loud and some beaurocrat's gonna suggest it and the next thing you know you're gonna be saddled with even more ridiculous restrictions
The way they are going we will have a O TAC anyway.Blessed are we in the USA.:an4:

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
Flipper will definitely pull fish off the line. A list of fish I've had taken off the line by flipper:
Red Snapper
Vermillion Snapper
Scamp
King Mackerel
Spanish Mackerel

The worst I've seen them pulling fish off was at night. Maybe they didn't see the tackle, but their sonar was definitely seeing the fish, so they didn't shy away as much. They're for-sure worse about eating throw-backs than they are about fish on the line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts