2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From comments in the "first center fire rifle thread", I noticed several made comment about having their first gun/s stolen. Man that burns me up. I can not stand a thief!!!!

I have been fortunate that to this day, I have only had one gun stolen. It was however, a friends 22 pistol. He was laid up in jail (bad choices in his youth), I was keeping it and other property of his for him, when we believe some of our mutual associates, broke into my house looking for his tools and other belongings. They just did not stop stealing when it came to my stuff as well. I had taken all of my guns and stored them with my dad at the time, because of the traveling I was doing and some of the people I was having to work with and associate with. (Construction workers, mid 80's, very nomad at the time). I was one of his only "friends" that kept most of his stuff from being ripped off while he was away, mainly because they didn't want to get on my bad side.

Never got the gun back, but the guy that broke into my house wound up doing 20 years, not for the burglary, but for other things he was involved in. Should not of bragged about doing my house.

As I reflect back over my life, it amazes me of the things I did and saw and that finally I matured enough to make a better life for me and my family. I know that my parents didn't have a lot of hope for me during that time of my life.

Reactions: Roostor

·
Registered
91 Posts
In college my roommates and I had our house broken into over Christmas break. It was the only time we had all driven our own trucks home, so none were left at the house. I was the first back to the house and saw that they took 12 guns, which was probably one of the worst feelings I've ever had in my life. They took pretty much everything except for the tv in the living room, although they did steal the remote to it which ****** me off even more that night when I realized it. In total they stole over $15,000 worth of stuff from 3 college kids, basically everything we had, even took the pillowcases so they could carry all our stuff easier.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
I have never had a gun stolen but dont want one stolen eitherWhen we moved into this new area I had an alarm system installed...In the gun room we installed a glass breakage system, a motion sensor and a seal breakage on the safe and the windows....Cant be tooo safe

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had my Dad's .38 S&W stolen out of my truck in our front yard many years ago. We filed a police report, gave them the serial number and we were basically told we'd never see it again. Well about 7 years went by and my Dad got a phone call from Friendswood P.D. asking if he was the owner of a .38. My Dad said yes and was asked to come claim the pistol. When he got there, he found that the pistol had been stamped with "property of Friendswood P.D." on the side frame. He had been given a paper from them showing he was the rightful owner and had to keep it with the pistol at all times.

·
Registered
494 Posts
In the early 80's I had a Rem Mod 788 .243 stolen. Never saw it again. I can't stress enough to everyone to take the serial numbers down and put them in a safe place. Guns have turned up after being stolen 10 years earlier.

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
I had a Wincheser 20 ga stolen out of my apt in Sharpstown back in the early 90's. It was a kid who broke in and his little brother told on him. I had his little brother go get a parent and march his little butt down for a talk. The kids dad just stood there and listened to me preach and didnt have much to say and barely batted an eye. Never got the gun back and I bet that kid is now in prison because his father didnt care enough to wear him out and make him pay restituion. Absolutely worthless people in this world!!!

·
Too far from the ocean ...
2,504 Posts
I lost an AMT .30 Carbine pistol. I really liked the pistol a great deal.

:(

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
In 1985 I was off at college and a dirtbag broke into my parents house and stole everything. 27 guns, TV's, VCR's and my mom's coin collection and mink coats. I had several Browning shotguns with me, but we lost several Belgium made Browning's, Weatherby's, Sako's and Remington 1100's and 870's. Another sad thing was that my dad loves to work with wood and he had built a oak wall unit in the study that had a large lighted (and locked ) gun cabinet and they just destroyed it.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Lezz Go said:
One of my shooting buds had a $10,000 custom Krieghoff shotgun stolen out of his truck in his driveway. Now that sucks!
Ouch!

We have had guns stolen on a few occasions. Worst were the 'heirloom' type of guns. No real value to anybody but family members. You know, first shotguns and Ruger Mark .22s....sorry drug addicts.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Guns

I was fourunate, with the help of a good neighbor, I got all mine back. A neighbor called my wife at work to ask her if we were having any work done to our house. My wife told her no, why? The neighbor said "there was a man measuring your windows, and then he went in back, and now I can see him inside your house". I was a carpenter at the time so the neighbor thought it was odd that someone else would be working on our house. My wife called me at the jobsite, I rushed home. The thief was a relative of mine who was strung out on drugs. The mental giant actually called a cab to pick him up, he had 11 rifles, 4 shotguns and two pistols wrapped in a blanket. Of course the neighbor saw the cab, the cops traced the call and picked him up. He had already called a cab to take him to the pawn shop, in a couple of minutes he would have sold them all. They were dinged up a little and I had to shoot them in to make sure they were still zeroed properly, but all in all I was lucky. Then, the cops dropped the charges. Made me mad!
BB

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I had a Smith and Wesson .357 (586) stolen out of my truck. Not to sure when it happened but I think it was during an oil change. I couldn't prove it so i was out of luck. It was my carelessness that got it stolen. It really ticked me off. I had saved my pennies when I was at college at bought the gun for $350.

·
Bringing home the bacon, Wild Style!!!
368 Posts
I have been in LE for 12 years and over the past 6 have had the pleasure of returning several guns to thier rightful owner. I am not sure what happens to all the stolen guns but I can tell you the biggest problem is serial numbers. One in ten people have the serial numbers for the guns they own. That makes it really hard to recover them. The best recovery was a 12 gauge browning stolen 26 yrs earlier and returned to the son of the owner one year to the day of his fathers passing. Felt good and the son was beside himself to have his fathers gun. Serail Numbers, Safes, Alarms and not leaving them in cars keeps guns from being taken from you.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes, I had a nice collection of guns....nothing to expensive, but a few collectables and the best darn deer rifle I ever owned, a 25-06 Ruger Mod 77 that was a tack driver....but someone decided to take them as well as my tool cabinet. The sad thing is....they probably took them to a job site or a "waterin hole" that has alot of normal blue collar workers, and told some sad sob story about how the kids need back to school money or such...and poof...he sells em to the "Lucky" buyer who makes a "Real Good Buy" and of course Mr Blue collar worker has a clear conscience because he convinces himself he didn't buy "HOT" stuff.......but the really SAD part is.....Does he REALLY care?

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
When it comes to drug heads, it would sure be easier if we just went ahead and gave them the drug of choice and plenty of it, in one large dose.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My first shotgun (CVA Flight King, 28ga) along with 4 x Wingmasters (2 x 12's & 2 x 20's) were stolen from my home in 1995.

For what it's worth, State Farm cut me a check for not only the guns, but everything else I reported and I had it in my hands in 18 hrs of the burglary.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Had a Colt Agent .38 that my wife (now ex) decided to carry. It disappeared and she had no idea when or where. Could have been from her car - could have been from her purse at the VA Hospital - who knows?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts