2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an American Rodsmith 7' Hammer boat spinning rod at Academy today for $9 (clearence from $50). Problem is that I don't own a salt spinning reel and really need another baitcast boat rod. I got to looking at the rod and noticed that the only difference in the spinning and baitcase rods are the size of the first few eyes. The first eye is way too big, but the second eye would be usable if I could replace the first eye to match it. The rest of the eyes are much smaller and would function fine. How difficult would it be to do this myself. Any suggetion on materials and the basic steps of replacing the thing would be appreciated. I would rather not take it to a repair shop, my steal would probably end up being not so great a deal. Thanks in advance for the tutorial.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will turning this rod into a baitcaster from a spinning rod affect its performance. Someone in another forum stated that the spine will be upside down. What does this mean? Should I just keep it as a spinning setup and get me a big Penn spinner? Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
rockyraider said:
Will turning this rod into a baitcaster from a spinning rod affect its performance. Someone in another forum stated that the spine will be upside down. What does this mean? Should I just keep it as a spinning setup and get me a big Penn spinner? Thanks.
That depends on if the person who made the rod built it after locating the 'spine' or 'backbone' of the blank. The spine is the natural curve or bend of the blank when placed under stress, ie; fighting a fish.
I really don't think that it will matter that much with a light tackle rod though. You could change it over but the rod might try to twist a little if you get a biggun on there..

JD

·
Registered
548 Posts
rockyraider said:
Is a 7' heavy action boat rod considered light action? Just curious. So would you just buy a big spinner or change it over?
I would consider that a heavy enough rod to make a difference. But in your case I would just keep it a spinner and add it to your arsenal and get another rod... The thing is that there should be more guides on a casting rod than on a spinner. On a spinning, the line hangs under the rod blank and the guides are spaced to equalize the line tension on the blank. On a casting rod, the guides have two functions, to equalize the line tension on the rod and to keep the line from hitting the blank and possibly damaging it. If you are fighting a big fish and it takes alot of line out quickly and the line is touching the rod at the same time, it can give the rod blank the equivilant of rope burn and damage it.. so if you would still like to change it over you would probably have to tear it down and add a couple guides and space them properly.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Rocky,
If you really want to keep it simple, spiral (transition from on top to the bottom) the first 2 guides. I built a spiral rod a couple of yrs ago on a Calstar 700 ML/calcutta 700 spooled w/ power pro and it has been a great rod for small tuna, sails, etc. Really stable w/ the line under the blank, tho it looks kind of funky and doesn't store as well. Without starting another round of discussion on spine, I'll just say all conventional baitcast rods are inherently unstable (try to twist under load), but seem to work fine for alot of people.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Goags said:
Rocky,
If you really want to keep it simple, spiral (transition from on top to the bottom) the first 2 guides. I built a spiral rod a couple of yrs ago on a Calstar 700 ML/calcutta 700 spooled w/ power pro and it has been a great rod for small tuna, sails, etc. Really stable w/ the line under the blank, tho it looks kind of funky and doesn't store as well. Without starting another round of discussion on spine, I'll just say all conventional baitcast rods are inherently unstable (try to twist under load), but seem to work fine for alot of people.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the reel seat be on the wrong side for a spiral?

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
JED, you're exactly right! I had a brain cramp. And you're also right about if on top, it will probably require more guides than are there, in order to keep the line off the blank, when under load. Sorry to confuse you, Rocky.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yes it would be. Remember that you are flipping the whole rod over. It is very easy to convert a casting rod to a spinner but not the other way around. Two weeks ago a friend of mine brought a casting rod for me to change to a spinning rod. I changed the first two guides, did some test casting and that was it. He had already ground the trigger down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts