2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the law state about distance for feeder or stands? Or what does it say about shooting across property lines??

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
What is the law state about distance for feeder or stands? Or what does it say about shooting across property lines??
State Jail Felony to shoot across fence. (mandatory) one year imprisonment

If game is taken then fines plus replacement cost of animal. You have to be able to prove it. Why are you asking? If you got such issues I would just shoot the person doing it let the buzzards do the rest.

Do not think any distance restrictions at all for boxes and or feeders.

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
Believe it says nothing about how close, but " no person may discharge any firearm, such that the bullet crosses any property not controlled by the shooter", or something to that effect.

IF you do a search on here, there are numerous posts regarding the rude, but legal practice of placing a feeder or stand adjacent to a neighbors property or lease boundary.

My BIL has troubles with that on some leased property next to his owned property in the Hill country. The leased 80 acres has 4-6 hunters, next to his 300, all the blinds and feeders are on the borders, since the 80 is mostly cultivated field. He takes great pleasure in shooting axis just before they jump the fence from his property to the field. You got to laugh at how ridiculous these things can get!

MM

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
supposedly there's nothing that can be done according to law, until they shoot across the fenceline...here's our neighbor...

which by looking at the pic, it would be really easy for them to do...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have hunted the same spot for 5 years, the land owner sold a peice of property and now my feed pen and feeder are 30 yards from the fence line...........Im not going to "re-build" unless there is an issue down the line. 2 feeders and a fenced off food plot.........
No law against putting a feeder or blind close to a fence line, just not polite.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
supposedly there's nothing that can be done according to law, until they shoot across the fenceline...here's our neighbor...

which by looking at the pic, it would be really easy for them to do...
I think I saw those kids build that in the movie Explorers.:cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
havent had any trouble til this year one of our neighbors put one on a fence that is about 100 yards from my feeder. they have hunted this propert for as many tears as I have been on mine and cant figure out the reasoning. funny thing is the fenceline on my side is the route I drive my 4 wheeler in and out. I have only missed 2 weekends and he has been there each time I have been . I can see his feeder from my 16' tripod . I have only seen does at his feeder and no hogs. I have killed 4 hogs and love parading them by on the 4-wheeler while he is still in the stand. I bet he gets steamed each time.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
State Jail Felony to shoot across fence. (mandatory) one year imprisonment
:D WHOA, Lordy! Don't tell me, let me guess! A Game Warden in Galveston told you that, right? Haha.

Class C misdemeanor. Obviously if you're shooting across your fence trying to murder your neighbor, the price goes up!

Always wondered how they'd prove that one. I don't worry about it much myself. Chance of finding my shotgun pellets and proving they're mine are fairly slim.

Actually you can shoot across fences all day long if you own the land on both sides or if you have the permission of both landowners.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have killed 4 hogs and love parading them by on the 4-wheeler while he is still in the stand. I bet he gets steamed each time.
Wow! Ain't u special! Actually I bet he is thankful you're killing those bastages and they're on your property, not his. Cause he has a clue.

·
******* Deer Hunter
208 Posts
havent had any trouble til this year one of our neighbors put one on a fence that is about 100 yards from my feeder. they have hunted this propert for as many tears as I have been on mine and cant figure out the reasoning. funny thing is the fenceline on my side is the route I drive my 4 wheeler in and out. I have only missed 2 weekends and he has been there each time I have been . I can see his feeder from my 16' tripod . I have only seen does at his feeder and no hogs. I have killed 4 hogs and love parading them by on the 4-wheeler while he is still in the stand. I bet he gets steamed each time.
I'm sure he thanks you for takin out the vacuum cleaners. But keep at it. As long as they dont hunt your feeder its all good. Deer get used to that four wheeler pretty quick. Good luck out there :cheers:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Common courtesy and common sense go along way folks! The GW's should not have to get involved in these squabbles if people would just respect each others right to safely hunt in peace. I know- some idiots just dont get it. I have one across my west fence. Drives the fence at 5:30PM and 730AM every Sat. and Sun, and hunts out his truck window. My stand is 150 yards from his fence, and my side is 40 acres of wheat. He has 2000 acres but hunts my 40 acre wheatfield. He tries to kill anything crossing into my field. I just watch and laugh at him, it aint worth the grief anymore. 2 years ago he put a tripod 5 yards from the fence directly 150 yards in front of my blind. My feeder is at the edge of the field on my east property line. He acts like I am the one in the wrong? WE have never even shot that direction because my blind is in an island of 5 trees in the middle of our field and the feeder is the other direction. What a jerk!

·
Wood Duck Eradicator
459 Posts
Some leases have deed restrictions requiring stands/feeders to be a minimum distance from the fence. At the moment, our neighbors have a stand 1' from our fence. The deed restriction clearly states that they cannot have a stand that close. At the moment we are trying to be civil about it, but if it does not get moved the GW will be getting a call.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Some leases have deed restrictions requiring stands/feeders to be a minimum distance from the fence. At the moment, our neighbors have a stand 1' from our fence. The deed restriction clearly states that they cannot have a stand that close. At the moment we are trying to be civil about it, but if it does not get moved the GW will be getting a call.
You need an attorney not a game warden, it's a civil issue.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
their deed restiction or yours?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
You need an attorney not a game warden, it's a civil issue.
Ed Zachary. Beyond that, a deed restiction ( a restriction to the deed, or title to the land) is of concern to a landowner, not a lessor, I would think. I don't know all the legal ins and outs but I'd bet good money you're talking about lease rules which are simply agreements between lessor and lessee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts