• Drop off at stand by guide or other

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Is it high fence or low fence?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
When I hunt in the morning sometimes my ATV is flat and I'll have to walk to blind which is usually 200yrds away and that happens more than once lol. so I do it often. I don't like to make noise so I won't fill it up. But for the most part I just get on ATV and drive out to blind.

·
Premium Member
15,892 Posts
Hogs, I ride the 4 wheeler to the stand. Deer, I get dropped off at the stand.
I have been hunting a cougar that I saw since last July and I have walked miles and miles. I have enjoyed this more than any other hunting that I have done.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Nada...My guide drops me off....She walks 300yds one way...

The Christmas it snowed...she was stuck at the gate and walked a quarter mile to her stand with Rifle, Pistol, loaded stand Bag and 25lbs of corn......Said she wanted to see "blood in the snow at least once".......

·
Eric Garcia, Premier-Yamaha San Antonio
1,141 Posts
Good question, I just recently landed a lease and was wondering how far I should park my vehicle from my stand ? what would be a minimum ---couple blocks away--100-200 yards ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm a walker, I like my truck at least a mile from my stand location, and always park it where the winds are right. If it were possible I would always park on a fenceline and let the wind blow the scent off the property. It might be a bit overkill, but it sure doesn't hurt.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Cutter said:
I should have included a "drop off" option.. I cant modify a poll though.. can a mod hook me up?
Done.

And hunting in south texas with warm winters and rattlesnakes (shot one at the blind this year while hunting) I park real close. Helps to get things I forgot in the truck to. About 20 feet away tucked in a small brush clearing. Real funny when pigs come and eat corn out of the road feeder at the back of the truck.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
WALK!???????

Man you are nuts that why I bought a mule! I have a parking spot cleared out around all of our blinds! We literally park within 10 yards of the blind. The deer do not care! Heck when they hear my mule they come running because they know the corn wagon is there. Kind of like kids in the summer when they hear the ice cream truck!! Maybe I should get a loud speaker and a CD player and start playing some Robert Earl Keen as I feed my roads????? LOL

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If it is the early season and the deer have not been hearing alot of vehical traffic, I like to keep it as quiet as possible.

But that's is a question that IMO, is best answered depending on the situation:

Some days I drive in w/my hi-rack, feed in all directions and then sit all day.

Some days I'll drive as close as I am comfortable getting in my truck, and then get out and walk to one of my tripods (usually about a 30 minute walk) that I've fed heavily the night before... and then sit all day.

Some days I'll drive from spot to spot and get up in my high rack and rattle / call.

Some days it's best to get the cowboy to drop me off at a location (in his truck), because the deer see his vehical and are use to it.

I guess I let the deer, moon phase, rut etc. dictate how I'm going to hunt. Then some days, I just don't know what the heck to do.

I guess everyone has there ways.

Oh by the way, I checked every box except the last two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts