2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lil' Fishies with 1/8oz Jig Head, 3' of 17# test. Fold 3' leader approximately 1' down and tie loop. This should result in a 1" loop at top and (2) ends for jigs; top jig will sit 1' down from loop, bottom jig will sit 2' down.

Key to this bait is using the correct jig head - lil'fishiy will not swim correctly w/ a long/heavy shank, or if it isn't resting on the shank straight.

Be sure to set your drag light as the correct hook is prone to straighten on reds and bigger trout.

I may have just lost a fishing buddy by revealing this set-up but this bait is the bomb though and it's a shame so few people know about it...

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lil' Fishies with 1/8oz Jig Head, 3' of 17# test. Fold 3' leader approximately 1' down and tie loop. This should result in a 1" loop at top and (2) ends for jigs; top jig will sit 1' down from loop, bottom jig will sit 2' down.

Key to this bait is using the correct jig head - lil'fishiy will not swim correctly w/ a long/heavy shank, or if it isn't resting on the shank straight.

Be sure to set your drag light as the correct hook is prone to straighten on reds and bigger trout.

I may have just lost a fishing buddy by revealing this set-up but this bait is the bomb though and it's a shame so few people know about it...

Good luck.
X2 - The little green ones also work well. I use this setup in the summer under lights.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
20-30lb mono leader, loop knot with about 8" on one side and about 12" on the other, jighead on the ends and your fav soft plastic

·
and the occasional flounder
866 Posts
1/8oz Jig Head, 3' of 17# test. Fold 3' leader approximately 1' down and tie loop. This should result in a 1" loop at top and (2) ends for jigs; top jig will sit 1' down from loop, bottom jig will sit 2' down.
I do it the same way but use a 1/16 oz jighead on the short drop and the 1/8 oz on the long one. This seems to keep them from tangling as bad. Also if I am using braid I thread a swivel onto the leader and tie it into the knot. Tying to the swivel instead of the knot keeps braid from cutting into the leader.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,019 Posts

Good luck.
BINGO!!! I do the same thing. One time I found some 1/8th jig heads that were like crappie jigs but with s/s hooks. I fitted them over the lil' fishies and they worked even better. I think b/c the head wasn't poking out the front. But I can't find who makes them any more.

But, the way you have it rigged works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts