2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I would like to get start building my own rods and at this point, know absolutely nothing about how to do it. Can anyone point me into the right direction? What type of tools are needed? Where do you get the materials? Where can i find referenc materials (how to books, etc). Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Junior

Semper Fi

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! I surfed tom Kirkman's website pretty hard last night and think I am going to purchase his book. I will also look for the video that you recommended. I am in Corpus and met a guy a couple of weeks back who builds his own rods so I will have to get with him and see if he will let me be a fly on the wall in his shop. Thanks again!

Junior

Semper Fi

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ramon,
Thanks again for the info! My wife isn't too crazy about keeping my saltwater addiciton at bay this way (I think she knows that this one will develop a personality of it's own!!!)....but for better or for broke right!?!

Junior

Semper Fi

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks again for all of the tips. With the help of Snagged, I managed to find a couple of publications that were being sold on the Robstruelies website. I tried Roy's and they looked at me like I have three heads. I have also been trying to get a copy of Artie herbert's video but without luck Anyhoo, should get the books in a week or so and then I am sure Pandora's box will be open.

Junior

Semper Fi
:flag:

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ramon,
Artie's video on Mudhole and will prob order it tonight. I just finished perusing a bit of his "Finishing" video that was on Mudhole's website and can't wait to get started. He seems like my kinda' guy. Simple and a straight shooter. I am also contemplating getting one of the "Special" blanks from Mudhole but frankly, am confused as to which one to get. I want to construct a rod primarily for trolling and bottom fishing...say 30-50# class that will house an Eagle Claw GTL40. Any suggestions? They are all graphite but come in unsanded, sanded and finished. I don't want to get something that I will possibly break however I also don't want to drop a lot of coin since it will be my first attempt at constructing my own.

Junior

Semper Fi
:flag

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.