2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Parrothead
122 Posts
I too am learning ...

So I think I can help you out. There is a video made by Artie Hebert, Cabelas sells it, $20. It rocks!! Also there are several good books you can get. Go to www.rodbuilding.org and there are a list of sponsors and suppliers to help you out. They will have the books and even beginning tool kits. I recommend that you get a rod kit for your first one. They come with all the pieces you need to put a rod together. Plan a getting addicted, fair warning.

-John

· Parrothead
122 Posts
As far as sanded finished or unsanded, I almost always go with finished, unless I want to paint the blank. If I want to paint one I go with the sanded, then I just have to detail sand the blank before painting. Regular spray paint works on blanks, but I am going to try a product called Klass Koat soon, it is an epoxy and paint in one and everyone raves about it. Also, one recommendation I would make is to do several wraps on a 1/2 inch pvc pipe, length doesnt matter. I found it to be a great way to practice because it was thicker than a blank and you could really get a feel of wrapping. I did about 2 dozen wraps on the PVC before I even attempted on the rod.

-John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.